xiv. 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I liked that one." Dustin nodded his head.

"You know... I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a rough year for Hawkins." Jason started to go on once the gym quieted down. "So much loss. And sometimes I wonder "How much loss can one community take?" In dark days like this, we need something to believe in. So, last night, when we were down by ten points at half to Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said, "Think of Jack." "Think of Melissa." "Think of Heather." "Think of Billy." "Think about our heroic police chief, Jim Hopper." "Think about each and every one of our friends who perished in that fire." What did they die for? For us to lose to some...some crap school? No! For us to return home with our heads hung low in defeat? No! Lets win this game! Let's win this game for them, and that's exactly what we did!"

Lucas met Cassies eye again, smiling at her as she smiled back. She reached over and held Max's hand, making her look over to get a comforting smile. While they had drifted, Max knew she always had Cassie, and Cassie knew she always had Max.

"We embarrassed those candy-assess in their own house, and now tonight, tonight, we're gonna bring home the championship trophy!" Jason shouted loudly in joy and pride.

"Tonight?" Mike asked in disbelief.

"How is that possible?" Dustin tossed his hands up.

"They call it a tournament. You win one game, you go on until there's only one team left." Max informed them.

"Wait." Dustin looked over as Cassies eyes widened. "Cass, no!"

"I can't help that they like my intelligent writing skills!" Cassie held her hands up. "Someone will replace my presence while I sadly, dreadfully, panic filled, painfully terrible, miss tonight."

"Cass, we need you." Mike shook his head.

"Oh, you need me?" she glared at him. "Fully heartedly thrilled you know what it's like to need someone, just for them to pull away from your bonded, lovable, happy promise to be newspaper partners!"

"I said I was s-" Mike started, stopping as Cassie walked off.

"You deserve that." Dustin rolled his eyes. "You hurt her feelings."

"It's been a full semester." Mike sighed.

"Hey." Lucas smiled as he met Cassie on the side lines. "Looks like you'll have more writing material tonight."

"Suppose I will." she smiled as they walked together, arms pressed together. "Did you get a lovely moment to read the latest article?"

"Oh, may I?" he asked dramatically, motioning to the new papers she carried.

"I suppose I can risk getting a full body pain from a paper cut just to pass you it." she sighed loudly, handing him the newspaper. "I think you'll enjoy the last article terribly so."

Lucas flipped, staring down at the last entry.

The Heart-Warming, Soul-Crushing, Importance Of Bench Warmers.

"You wrote this about me?" he looked over with a smile.

"Well, I wrote about all your teammates." she pointed out with a head tilt. "Suppose you were right up my alley when it came to the final, sadly, dreadful, last article."

"Cass, that's so sweet." he wrapped a tight arm around her.

"You have to get your thing demolished!" Dustin ran after the two. "Lucas!"

"Saw it coming." Lucas sighed, removing his arm from around Cassie. "I don't see what the big deal is. Just talk to Eddie. Get him to move Hellfire to another night and Cassie and I will be able to make it."