Prolouge

Alex Flent stood in the mirror of her small cottage in New York. She grabbed the knife her late father had given her so long ago, and pulled it through her hair. She realized she must have done it too hard, as she felt a small trickle of red blood drip down her neck, but didn't stop.

She cut all of her brown curly hair off, so it was just down to the nape of her neck, and sighed putting the knife down.

"Well, Alex," she spoke, looking at her own brown eyes in the mirror. "there's no goin' back now."

She grabbed her rucksack and left the small house she had grown to love, and started a new life.

She- he now- was going to be fighting for the greater good. Ending slavery. She had never been able to find her right place in the world, being someone who was punished for liking only girls, but that was who she was, is, and always will be.

She let the cold morning air sweep her cut hair and took in a long, deep breath.

He was starting his next journey. But this time, it wouldn't be so easy.

-

"Alexander Martin Flent? Correct?" The General of The Union asked.

"Yes, that's me." Alex replied.

"And why, may I ask, do you want to join The Union?" The General, Ulysses Grant, asked.

"Because, sir, my father died fighting for the better of others. I want to do it in his honor." Alex said, proudly. "And for all the colored men, woman, and children. I hold the truth to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. If the first person gets special treatment, why should the latter not, sir?"

"Right you are, Alexander. Welcome the The Union." He pinned a badge to Alex's chest, and paused for a moment when moving his hand away, but didn't seem to think much.

"Thank you, General Grant." Alex said, adjusting the pin so it was straight.

He picked up his small bag and made his way to the small train that would be taking them to the training site. He got in and saw that the new nurses were mixed in with the Union soldiers.

He sat down next to a girl with fire red hair that fell to her shoulders, freckles covering her face, and small thin lips.

"Hello," he said. "I'm Alex Flent."

"'Ello," she said. She had a soft slightly high voice, a British mixed with Irish accent. "I'm Hannah McTine."

"Nice to meet you, Hannah," Alex said. He had out his hand in greeting and she shook it. "I see you're a nurse. I don't mean to be rude, but I hope to not see you too much."

Hannah chuckled softly, a sound that made butterflys swarm in Alex's stomach and his cheeks flood with color. "I home the same, Mr. Flent."

"Oh none of that, 'Mr. Flent.' Please, just call me Alex. I was never one for formal titles."

"But you are serving our country! The least I could do was address you properly." Hannah said back.

"Fine. You can, but just know I don't like it." Alex said, a smile on his lips.

Hannah smiled back and then turned to look back out the window as the bus started to move.

"So why did you join The Union?" She asked after a minute.

"My father died fighting. I want to honor him, my uncle and my brother. They all lost their lives fighting. My brother, Theodore, was four years older than me and died on his first year. My dad and uncle deaths and unknown why." Alex explained.

"Thats so sad!" Hannah said sympathetically. "I just joined as a nurse because I want to help people like you."

"Well, thats still something to be proud of. Not everyone would to that." Alex said, putting his hand on her shoulder.

A coat of blush crossed her face before she hastily turned away, slightly embarrassed.

For some reason, Alex thought this would not be the last time he had a run in with Hannah McTine.

A/N: so. This is not Harry Potter. Wow. The credit for the general info goes to the co-writer, M.M. my cousin. I wrote the story. We both thought it up together. It will update every weekend we can. Cheers!