Lois Lane: Part 7

Once Clark pointed it out Lois took a moment to look around at the restaurant, trying to understand where the source of his discomfort came from. It was relatively full, but not really loud. Or maybe she'd gotten used to it? Huh. The more you know. The woman shifted to grab the purse resting on the back of her chair, opening it up on her lap to search for the medicine.

"I swear I had it right here-" She ruffled through too many belongings, a paper rustling sound pointing out what the majority of the mess was. Post its, torn notebook pages, old newspapers articles and even a napkin where Lois simply had to put down thoughts any way she could. She almost cut her finger on the collection of business cards - her own and otherwise. "There you are." Finally she spoke victorious, handing the medicine to Clark before closing the purse and hanging it again. The fashionable outside could not begin to let on what it was like inside.

"You should get some for your desk if it's an issue. If you think this place is loud you should see the office when Perry asks for rewrites."

-

Lois was making an intentional effort not to look at the time. She had been prepared to dread babysitting the new guy and been pleasantly surprised by the company. Increasingly so. Since she could barely listen to Clark's voice while at the planet to his more than entrancing answers to some of her questions. And, good questions of his own. Definitely worth not checking the time for.

She squinted at him after he mentioned her work. "Is that a way of saying I touched your life, Smallville? Am I secretly your inspiration?" For a second she held the serious tone staring at the grayish blue eyes before breaking in laughter. "Of course it means something. And I didn't save the world yet. It can't all be fists and guns."

Wasn't that the everlasting debating between her and her father. 'Words aren't going to protect you in real life, Lola.' He wasn't entirely wrong either. Were it not for the mandatory self-defense training he imposed there would be situations made a lot uglier. But he was still wrong. Words weren't going to protect her, but they would protect someone. All she needed to do was be able to keep herself safe long enough to accomplish that. For that, being a black belt in Jiu Jitsu came in handy.

"I'd be shy in his shoes too." Lois spoke after offering a polite nod to the waiter that now cleaned their table. "Well no, I'd never be shy. Just, avoiding it, really. Would you ask Oprah what her favorite color is or what it feels like to be Oprah? I'm guessing she doesn't get to have many normal conversations with admirers. And Superman's not just a celebrity. He's new. Unprecedented and powerful. A combo of words that shakes the world to its core. Everyone's bound to have the same million questions, the ones we're seeing on every news channel ever. So if I were Superman? I'd definitely stay away from bars. Although I'd also get in contact with the media on my terms before someone else does it for me." She rolls her eyes, almost disappointed at the hero in a comic way. To her, he wasn't thinking long term enough. If it was any other figure she'd get their home phone number, chase down secretaries, contact lovers to get in touch. But how's one supposed to call for Superman? Not at bars, apparently. He's too shy
for that.

-

"Just Lois. If you know my origins and my ambitions we're on a first name basis. Don't tell Jimmy."

Some of the subjects discussed were more philosophy than journalism. Which, was actually very in character for Lois. Her favorite college professor didn't much enjoy the constant barrage of questions, but her philosophy teacher did. Yet she found it too abstract. The realm of ideas it's beautiful, really. Meaning, as they were talking about, she could dive into what that meant for years on end.

Yet nothing would come from it. It's not tangible, constructive or transformative. Much to the professor's disappointment, Lois did not pursue that path further. Too much to be done on the realm of reality.

"Constantly finding myself. God forbid ever finding it. Then what's the point of searching?" The tone was softer, more personal. A small shrug and a tired smile from the continuos exploration, only to disappear when he offered to pay.

 "I know you're from a small town Clark, but I never let a man cover my bill and I'm not starting now." Her card was already in hand by the time the waiter came with the machine. "Rookie can buy me a coffee instead."

 -

Clark stood up before her, some strange look of determination piercing her. There's that feeling again, that this could not be the same man Gerald and Tom were making fun of for having tripped on the trash can. For that single moment he called her name Lois waited in anticipation. Like her entire physiology went against her rationality, knowing there wasn't one good reason for it. Why could he possibly say that would deserve this kind of reaction? He was just the new guy. New guys didn't get this reaction out of her. No one did.

And then it was gone. Like coin on a couch, hope in a drought and his collection of pens, apparently. Was she seeing things? The Lois Lane hunch that's her entire identity didn't know what to make of Clark. She rolled her eyes reaching into the purse again, mumbling a displeased reply.

 "You brought extra notebooks but one pen? Here. Don't lose it."