Mermaid's One true love

In the depths of the ocean, far below the surface among the fish swum two young mermaids. Tina and Queenie. They had gone to their destination to meet with merpeople from other pods. They were required to find a mate given they were both coming of age. In human years it would be from 18-30 for mermaids but men it was 18-40.

Tina wasn't to excited about finding a mate. She didn't trust to many people. She hadn't want someone who'd jerk around or cheat. She wanted someone....special. Someone sweet and caring.
In her lifetime, she'd only fallen in love with one merman, Newt, of whom was from across the ocean. He was a Brit but still a merman. One day out of the blue, he'd been taken away from her by his own demanding parents. They didn't want him mating with her given she and her sister were the last of their line. With no family. Only each other. After they'd been split apart, Tina missed him. She wondered if he'd missed her as well and if she'd ever get to meet him again. But she never did. She was only 17 in human years while he would've been 21.
He was at the start of his life where he'd needed to find a mate. She wondered if he'd succeed at that.

Queenie on the other hand was indeed excited. Like Tina, she wanted a trustworthy merman but it wasn't hard for them to fall for her charm. She was beautiful. She was outgoing and loved meeting new merpeople. Quite the opposite of her elder sister.

___

When they reached the meeting they'd waved to a few mermaids that arrived around the same time as them. Though there were many unknown faces, there was also some familiar faces.

Tina stayed in the corner as Queenie was off talking to people. Both mermaid and mermen.
A few mermen had gone to Tina to talk. She was friendly to some but not so much to the ones that seemed like jerks. None-not one seemed to fit what she wanted. She was kind of disappointed.

on the other hand, it seemed Queenie had found someone. Tina could tell by the way she laughed and charmed him. She liked him. Tina was happy for her.

___

After a while had past, many came and go as they'd found mates to be with but Tina just stayed in one place. On the one hand, she'd told herself she wasn't sure she wanted someone but now, she was a bit surprised by the feeling of loneliness.
Minutes before, Queenie had waved to her sister before diving down into the water with that merman from before. Her new mate.

Time past, Tina debated on leaving as she did not find someone.
Just when she was about to dive down, she recognized two faces emerge from the surface. They'd looked slightly older, at least the youngest did. He looked more mature than the last time she'd seen him. She couldn't believe he was here. After all this time. He still looked as shy as he was when she'd known him when she was 17. He practically hid behind his older brother, Theseus.

Suddenly catching her attention, two mermen had gone to Tina and began talking to her. Somehow, she'd still found something she didn't like about them in a mate. They were nice but didn't fit her expectations.
She continued talking to them given they had a sense of humor plus it helped that they'd made it known they weren't interested.

Theseus' younger brother, Newt, glanced around as Theseus had gone off with a few mermaids charming them. It took him a moment but he'd suddenly found what he'd hoped to see. Or rather whom he'd hoped to see. He was disappointed to see her talking to two mermen but relieved when she didn't show any signs of interest.
He'd hesitated trying to gather confidence as he'd gone to her.

"Tina", he'd mumbled under his breath as the mermen turned in his direction.
The two mermen turned to her and spoke, "It was nice meeting you, Tina".
She gave them a friendly smile before turning to Newt. She didn't think she'd been this nervous in her life.
He gazed into her eyes, moving slightly closer.
"I....I never thought....I-I'd see you again", muttered Newt.
He hesitated as he glanced down, he'd began to intertwine their hands together. She couldn't help but blush as she avoided his eyes.
"Your....not mated...with someone else", she asked softly.
He shook his head, "No", he mumbled.
He'd placed the back of his hand against her cheek before diving under the water.
She followed after him.