chapter thirty-five

"Code Blue

"Code Blue. Staff report to the south emergency entrance for patient arrival. Repeat, code blue."

—Heard over the walkie system, Straelin Hospital, Klide County

This must've been a dream. "You found... Driana?"

Demitri did not like the way his heart lifted. It was such a simple sentence. We found her. Three words. Yet, the impact on him was profound.

Joy.

Horror.

Doubt.

Elation.

It all washed over him. Exhaustion followed. He'd been unable to do anything other than lay in bed this morning. Based on what the doctor told him and Reese, this was going to be his new normal.

A part of him wished this entire situation was a dream. That he could just revert back to when he was young, when his brother was still alive, and stop it all from happening.

Reality, though, had him in a tight chokehold.

"Agent Garrick and Agent Thompson found a young woman matching Princess Driana's age and description in East City," Reese explained. "Her background lines up with the timeline for the princess' disappearance."

Could it really be her?

Demitri knew Reese. Reese operated by definitives. He was not the type to mess around with him. Which meant until he was confident in her identity, he would've never mentioned her to him.

Still, Demitri found himself asking, "you're sure?"

"I am, Your Majesty."

The elation swooped in again. And with it, the questions. "Where is she now? Are the agents bringing her in? Is she safe?"

The expression that worked over Reese's face had the rising hope coming to a screeching halt.

"Is she safe?" He repeated.

A knock sounded on the door.

Stars damn it. "Yes?"

Catalina poked her head in. "I'm sorry to interrupt," she entered and made her way to the other side of his bed. Demitri would have to be blind not to see the somberness that entered her expression when she took in his position. "There's a call from the Sarian Royal Guard for you, Demitri. I was on my way over and told your assistant I'd pass along the message." She glanced between him and Reese. Noting their expressions. "Everything okay?"

Reese looked to Demitri.

"You can share everything with Lina," Demitri confirmed. Just yesterday, Catalina had shared with him her perceptions on her wife and concluded she was not in any way colluding with The Circle. Demitri trusted Catalina. If she was confident of her wife's loyalty, then he trusted her judgement.