chapter eighteen

"I've found someone to listen / And he's nothing like you/ he'll never be you/ It's funny, oh honey, how my words fell on deaf ears/ but now it's you/ whose screams I left unheard

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"I've found someone to listen / And he's nothing like you/ he'll never be you/ It's funny, oh honey, how my words fell on deaf ears/ but now it's you/ whose screams I left unheard..."

—Olive Sadie McKinley, Silence is louder than Screams, demo track

Kassian Williams.

Thad's "cousin," and the person housing them was Kassian Williams.

As in, the oldest son to politician and territory leader Khristina Williams.

Potentially-one-of-Aeriana's-most-famous-faces, Kassian Williams.

Teenage heartthrob and musician, Kassian Williams.

Markov Academy's growing protégé—

"Ris?"

Iris blinked, turned to Thad, and punched him on the arm. "You didn't tell me we were meeting Kassian."

"You didn't ask." Thad, pouting, rubbed at his arm. "For an artist, you have a strong arm."

"I don't think you hit him hard enough," Wylan drawled from her other side. "Hit him again so I can be sure."

"I'll hit you too, Mr. it's-a-surprise."

Thad grinned at Wylan. "LF has thorns."

Little Flower again? Iris rolled her eyes.

They waited just inside the door leading to the underground arrivals pick up lane. Around them, Aces moved about, collecting bags and finding cars for the next leg of their journey. Wylan waited until she had half a pretzel in her mouth before admitting that their next destination was the Williams' home.

The Williams' home in the Twin Isles.

She hadn't gotten a chance to peek outside at the landscape as they landed. Once they'd boarded the plane, Wylan directed her all the way to the back of the plane, to the very last row. "There's no window, and the emergency exit is right there. If anyone comes back here, Thad and I will have plenty of time to react," he'd told her.

Safety: ✓

View: ✕

The most she'd gotten was a tiny peek of cerulean sea as the Ace in front of her closed their window. Who closed their window on the plane when they're about to land in the most beautiful destination spot in all of Aeriana?

It was just her luck.

"He's not coming here to pick us up?" Her voice was high, even to her own ears.

Half of Wylan's mouth came up. "Did you want him to?"

She put her gloved hands to her cheeks. "No."