Chapter 4

Dick lurched up from bed with a gasp.

Sunlight streamed in between his blinds, sending patterns along the floor.

His alarm clock beeped beside him, breaking the stillness of the room.

Heart hammering. Fingers gripping the sheets. Breath caught in his throat.

Dick's next exhale was shaky, and he laid his head on his knees, breath hitching as the reality of the situation washed over him again.

Jason was dead.

(His little brother was dead.)

No.

No.

They were in a time loop.

Jason wasn't dead. (Dick had watched–)

Jason couldn't be dead . (The world had reset and–)

Dick's head shot up and his breath stopped completely as he turned to stare at the alarm clock.

If something didn't change... today, Jason was going to die .

The clock turned to 7:35.

The covers flew off of him and Dick ran.

Clothes haphazardly thrown on. Shoes on his feet. Door slamming behind him–

He didn't wait for a taxi today and soon the road was blurring by him as Dick raced for the manor on a hot-wired motorcycle well above the speed limit. ( Jason had taught him how to do that. Jason , who was– who had–) If today reset, the theft wouldn't matter, and if not, Dick'd make sure the owner got the bike back.

When he reached the clearing outside the Batcave entrance, no one was there.

Dick's throat grew tight as he skidded the motorcycle to a halt and pressed his hand on the stone, triggering the Cave's door.

Had Tim... decided to bail? That might be better in the long run– who knew what this loop would bring– but after seeing that– Dick wanted to check on him, but that would have to wait.

Dick revved the bike and spun, streaking into the cave, driving through the long stone hallway until he reached the main cavern.

Pulled to a stop.

Blinked.

There was Alfred, standing directly beside the Batplane... and Tim. He was shuffling his feet, notes held to his chest in a white-fingered grip and face still impossibly pale, visible even under the low light.

"Your suit is on board," Alfred said, voice only wavering slightly. "And the plane is prepared for your takeoff."

Emotion flooded over Dick and tears pricked behind his eyes. Dick's completely illegal semi-legal ride had cut down some time, but this would get them to Jason even faster. And for Tim to have gotten to the manor and for Alfred to have believed him so readily... his eyes landed on Tim, then flicked to Alfred and back. "You both are the best ."

Tim gave a fleeting smile, and Alfred's eyes locked on Dick's as he came closer. He swallowed, and for perhaps the first time in Dick's life, emotion coated his tone. "Bring them home."

"We will," Dick promised, throat dry.

Alfred laid a hand on his shoulder.

Tim nodded, still pale, but eyes now hard, alight with determination.

As the plane lifted off moments later, Tim sitting in the cockpit beside him, Dick pushed the throttle to full speed, eyes fixed on the horizon before them.

Jason was coming home .

And nothing had better stand in their way.

A/N: And now we sprint for the endgame ;)  See you guys back here next week!  Make sure to vote and comment if you're enjoying the adventure ;)  Thanks for reading!