12. Sori

Priya arrived to the institute as usually. When going into the complex she scanned around, specially near the parking area, to check if Ram has arrived or not. It was almost a day and two nights since they last met, the Diwali day, when he was not keeping well with his health.

Since there had been 2-3 times when they accompanied each other the little way from the entrance gate to their offices before he fell sick, she expected to see him today as well. Then she remembered him mentioning about not coming early unless some meeting and she headed for her classes.

While walking she was stooped by the sound of horn honking and a car entering the gate. This brought a very faint smile on her face as it was a familiar sound. Yet she didn't turn back to confirm it and continued to walk. Turing back to check if it's him would make her appear 'Desparate' and she would never do that.

Still she desired to meet him, know if he was okay so she slowed down. In this way, she would not look desperate and still manage to meet him.

The slow pace only made her more desperate.

Finally she heard him, "Morning Priya."

She greeted him, "Good Morning, Mr. Kapoor!" and enquired about his health.

"Fit and Fine," he replied with the most cheerful smile.

She smiled back.

They walked into the building. It was like a new routine for them. They would talk, argue or sometimes just remain silent and walk.

Ram turned to the stairs. Nowadays he had began to take the stairs, but only when she was around. This time she stopped him. Although he claimed to be 'Fit and Fine' with the most bright smile, she knew he was still weak and needed to rest. In fact, he shouldn't have come to office.

"Let us go by lift today," she suggested as she went near the elevator.

"Why? Do you think I'm sick and I can't walk?" He lifted his left eyebrow.

"No. But I'm late today," she said and went into the lift.

Immediately, he entered the lift too.

The lift was not very busy. It was too early in the morning for people to rush. They stood beside each other in silence.

Suddenly Ram said, "Ever imagined? We are working here for years, and there would have been many times we must have walked together," he paused. "Well, less chance of walking... but we would have been in this elevator together and still not remember each other."

She didn't say anything for a brief second. "Well, You are 'The Ram Kapoor', why would you even bother to notice someone like me?"

He chuckled. He leaned towards her and said, "Well. I'm 'The Ram Kapoor' yet you too didn't notice someone like me."

She glared at him while he was still smiling at her.

****

"Ram..." Vikrant grumbled when he entered into Ram's cabin, "Why do we have the meeting so early? It's just 8"

Aditya added, "Haan, Ram. Aren't you sick? Thoda toh khyaal rakh khudaka."

He munched a cookie, "Aren't you the one to tell me, wait, order me to leave the office premises before 5? That's what doctor said," he stated. He pulled some file and began to work on it.

"But that doesn't mean you'll come early and work Ram," Vik supported Adi. "Aur tu kabse doctor ki baat sunne laga?"

"Is it Doctor or Teacher?" Kunal intervened.