Chapter 1: The Bells of Notre Dame

——————————🔔——————————

The towers of Norte Dame stood tall and proud, the bells echoing through out the city, as people carried on about their day.

🎵Clopin: "Morning in Paris, the city awakes to the Bells of Notre Dame."🎵

🎵Clopin: "The fisherman fishes, the baker man bakes, to the bells of Notre Dame."🎵

🎵Clopin: "To the big bells as loud as the thunder, to the little bells, soft as a psalm."🎵

🎵Clopin: "And some say the soul of the city's the toll of the bells, the bells of Notre Dame."🎵

A man was in a caravan talking to some children. The man had black hair, a black beard, and was wearing a purple mask and vibrantly colored clothes.

"Listen. They're beautiful, no?" He asked the kids. "So many colors of sound, so many changing moods. Because you know, they don't ring all by themselves."

The man had a puppet on his hand and made it talk with a funny voice.

"They don't?"

"No, you silly boy. Up there, high, high, in the dark bell tower, lives the mysterious bell ringers." The man gestured to the building.

"Who are these mysterious creatures?"

"Who?"

"What are they?"

"What?"

"How did they come to be there?"

"How?"

The man hit the puppet on the head. "Hush. Clopin will tell you. It is a tale of a man, a beauty, and a monster."

...

🎵Clopin: "Dark was the night when our tale was begun, on the docks near Notre Dame."🎵

Some gypsies were riding in a small boat at night. A woman was in the boat carrying two babies, one boy, and one girl, that were crying.

"Shut them up, will you?" A man hissed.

"We'll be spotted!" Another scolded.

"Hush little ones." Their mother cooed.

🎵Clopin: "Five frightened Gypsies slid silently under the docks near Notre Dame."🎵

They all exited the boat.

"Four guilders for safe passage into Paris." The boatman said, when an arrow was shot through his spear.

Soldiers rushed forward and surrounded the gypsies.

🎵Clopin: "A trap had been laid for the gypsies and they gazed up in fear and alarm at a figure whose clutches were iron as much as the bells."🎵

A figure riding a horse came before them.

"Judge Claude Frollo!" One of the gypsies whispered.

🎵Clopin: "The bells of Notre Dame."🎵

A serious looking man with gray hair and black robes rode towards the gypsies on a black horse.

🎵Clopin: "Judge Claude Frollo longed to purge the world of vice and sin."🎵

The gypsies were pulled away and placed them in handcuffs, except for the woman.

🎵Clopin: "And he saw corruption everywhere, except within."🎵

"Bring these gypsy vermin to the Palace of Justice." He ordered.

"You there! What are you hiding?" One of the soldiers asked the gypsy woman, trying to peer at her babies.

"Stolen goods no doubt. Take them from her." Frollo demanded.

🎵Clopin: "She ran!"🎵

...

The woman ran through the streets clutching her babies to her chest as Frollo pursued her. She hopped over a gate and ran up the stairs of Notre Dame and banged on the door.

"Sanctuary! Please give us sanctuary!" She begged. 

Frollo rode his horse towards her and she tried to run, but Frollo grabbed the baby's blankets. She tried to hold on to them, but Frollo kicked her and she fell on the stairs, hitting her head. Frollo held the two babies in his hands and they started crying.

"Babies?" Frollo peeled back the blanket of the girl, and looked at her face. She was a very beautiful baby. He peeled back the blanket of the boy and recoiled. "A monster!"

Frollo looked over and saw a well. He rode over and was about to drop the baby in, but a voice called out.

"Stop!"

🎵Clopin: "Cried the archdeacon."🎵

"This is an unholy demon. I'm sending it back to hell, where it belongs. Then I shall drop the other at an orphanage." Frollo explained.

🎵Archdeacon: "See there, the innocent blood you have spilt on the steps of Notre Dame."🎵

The archdeacon held their mother in his arms.

"I am guiltless. She ran. I pursued."

🎵Archdeacon: "Now you would add this child's blood to your guilt on the steps of Notre Dame."🎵

"My conscience is clear."

🎵Archdeacon: "You can lie to yourself and your minions. You can claim that you haven't a qualm. But you never can run from nor hide what you've done from the eyes, the very eyes, of Notre Dame."🎵

The archdeacon pointed to the building where several stone statues appeared to be looking down at Frollo with judgement.

🎵Clopin: "And for one time in his life of power and control, Frollo felt a twinge of fear for his immortal soul."🎵

"What must I do?" Frollo asked.

"Care for the children, and raise them as your own." The archdeacon said, as he lifted the dead woman into his arms.

"What? I am to be saddled with a gypsy child and this misshapen..." Frollo paused for a moment. "Very well. But let them live with you in your church."

"Live here? Where?" The archdeacon asked incredulously.

"Anywhere. Just so they're kept locked away, where no one else can see. The bell tower perhaps. And who knows? Our lord works in mysterious ways." Frollo looked down at the babies.

🎵Frollo: "Maybe this fair child and this foul creature may prove to be, of use to me."🎵

...

Clopin looked down at all the children as he continued his story. "And Frollo gave the girl a name that was fitting for her fair face. (Y/n). And he gave the boy a cruel name, a name that means 'half-formed'. Quasimodo."

🎵Clopin: "Now here is a riddle, to guess if you can, sing the bells of Notre Dame."🎵

🎵Clopin: "Who is the monster, the beauty, and the man? Sing the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells of Notre Dame!"🎵

——————————🔔——————————