Last Words

Katsuki had never worn a suit in his life, and even when heading to his aunt and uncle's wedding he had simply worn the good sweatpants, but he had insisted on wearing something nice to Izuku's funeral. Inko had cried for hours when she woke up to Katsuki's scream and realized that her son had died. She had very clearly recently cried, and the blond was sure she was trying her best not to break into loud sobs and disrupt the service. She and Mitsuki had decided to sit quietly together, mutually sniffling. Katsuki remembered what had happened at school the day their teachers had to tell the class a kid had died. His friends had quickly realized that Izuku was the aforementioned kid. Not even they cracked a joke, but rather stayed in solemn silence with the rest of the class, stunned and guilty like a murderer found innocent. Katsuki hadn't said anything.

Nobody did that day.

"And now we have Katsuki Bakugo with the eulogy."

One of his friends, who had come to the funeral, gasped in surprise. Katsuki sent a glare their way and walked up to the podium. He took a deep breath and started to talk.

"Izuku Midoriya was an annoying little shit." Inko and Mitsuki made an offended noise and Inko looked as though she was about to punch him in the throat, which she probably was. "But he was my friend, as loose of a definition as that is. And I sucked at being his friend. And I took his kind nature for granted." His voice cracked. Katsuki stared at the ground. "Everything I thought about him was wrong. Sure, he seemed to be scared of everything, but that's what made him the bravest person I ever met. Because bravery isn't not being scared. It's being scared and doing it anyway. Izuku was kind, loyal, trustworthy, and most of all a good friend." Katsuki took in a ragged breath. "Everything I wish I could have been." He dropped his hands from the podium and murmured his final words. "And maybe if I knew that sooner, he'd still be around to hear it." Katsuki wasn't sure if anyone had heard his last sentence, but he didn't care. The blond walked back to his seat without another word. He sat down relatively harshly, his typical slouch and stormy personality brewing into a quiet hurricane behind a curtain. A chill passed in a gust of wind. Katsuki shivered.

The Bakugo household was gloomy after the funeral, despite the fact Inko had let them bring home the leftover doughnuts. However, Masaru was positive nothing, not even doughnuts, one of Mitsuki's favorite sweets, could cheer any of them up. He almost wished that Mitsuki and Katsuki would start bickering again, for the sole purpose that things would seem as though nothing had changed and Izuku would stop by any moment with some cookies and a smile. Mitsuki was curled up in a blanket, quietly eating some form of food on the couch next to Katsuki. Maybe it was spicy, Masaru didn't know. A comedy movie was on the TV, but neither blond felt like laughing. Masaru switched it off.

"Mitsuki, Katsuki, why don't you go take a nap. Maybe you'll feel a little better with some sleep." Mitsuki grumbled and shuffled away, blanket in tow and food in hand. Katsuki set down his food and flopped over on the couch, pulling the blanket up to his chin. Masaru felt a twinge of concern. "You alright, kiddo?"

"No"

"Can I help?"

"Let me know if you get a time rewind quirk or some crap, that might," Katuki muttered sharply and closed his eyes.

Masaru opened his mouth but decided not to respond. "I'll just-"

"Sorry."

"Hm?"

"Sorry. That was kinda rude or whatever." Masaru stood in stunned silence and walked away.

Izuku woke up confused and lying in his hospital bed. His pains were gone, so he figured he was on pain medicine. He sat up and to his surprise, he was in his normal clothes. He looked around and saw his mom in tears, hugging Mitsuki tightly. Katsuki sat next to him, staring numbly at the floor. "Kaachan? What's going on?" When the blond didn't respond, he reached out to tap his shoulder. To his shock, his hand passed through him. Izuku freaked out and jumped back, starting to float in the air a couple of feet above the ground. Izuku stared at the scene in shock, realizing that death had stopped at his hospital room door. He had known that he was going to die soon, but the reality of it hit him like a train, or how he had hit the ground. Instead of a hospital gown, he wore his casual clothes. Maybe his spirit decided to get changed as he was leaving his body.

In Loving Memoryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें