Christmas Eve and a Broken Heater

First off, I'm not sure if any of you follow me but I wanted to let you guys know, if any are interested, that Gladiolus is out! It's an over 21.5k word oneshot about an AU for Omori that follows Kim! Fair warning, it includes topics like Murder, Man Slaughter (There's a difference, look it up), Suicide/Attempted Suicide, Violence/ Mentions of Violence, Major Character Death, and Brutal Deaths. So yeah. Read at your own discretion. That aside though, I put a LOT of work into writing it and I'd really appreciate it if you would go check it out! Alright, enough of that. Enjoy the chapter!

-------------------

Basil set the notebook on his nightstand, pulling his blanket closer over his shoulders. The heater broke last night, so Polly had gotten out all the extra blankets. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do, it's the day of Christmas eve and he'd be spending it by himself mostly. Polly had gone to the store, saying she had missed something. Her trips to the store usually took forever, no matter how small or long her grocery list was, so Basil figured he would be by himself for the next few hours. He glanced at his phone but shook his head, everyone was spending time with family or loved ones. He shouldn't bother anybody. Though Kel had texted him this morning, asking him how he was. Basil had pretty much just said fine and told him about the heater breaking, no response had come after that. Basil shrugged it off, Kel was probably having fun with his family. He stood up, keeping the blanket around him. He nearly hissed at how ice cold the floor was, quickly pulling his legs back up onto his bed and leaning down over it to find the slippers he'd tossed beneath it long ago. Fortunately, they were still there. Unfortunately, they were just out of his reach. He groaned. He really did not want to touch the cold floor, even if only for a moment. He let out a slight sigh and searched near his bed for something he could use to pull the slippers toward him, finding nothing he sighed once more. Curse his tidiness. He placed his blanket on the floor now, standing on it so he could crouch down and reach for the slippers. 

Pulling the slippers out from under the bed, he quickly hopped back onto it. Shivering from the icy air he pulled his blanket back around him, putting the slippers on and standing up. It was almost noon, he should have got something to eat. Well, it's never too late. He walked down the hall, his pajama pants swaying slightly and letting more cold air reach his skin much to his distaste. He shivered once more, making his way to the living room. The lights were off, the whole place seemed like a cave though it held no warmth. Making his way to the kitchen he looked over the fridge's contents, scanning over them hesitantly. Finding nothing that looked appetizing he simply shrugged, maybe he just wasn't hungry. He looked around, unsure of what to do. Maybe he could go back to sleep? After all that's pretty much how he would spend days like this. At least during the past four years. He shook his head gently. Taking a hot shower would be nice while it lasted but he'd be freezing until he was dry so that was a no-go. He pursed his lips. Maybe he could watch a show? Television never really interested him though. 

As he stood there thinking, he was surprised by a knock on the door. Polly was probably back and had her hands full so she couldn't open the door.

"Coming!" He yelled as he quickly made his way to the foyer, he opened the door quickly, then froze in surprise.

"Heya!" Sunny smiled brightly, quite uncharacteristically. "Kel told me your heater broke. I figured I'd bring some stuff over and make sure you were alright."

Basil eyed him. "Oh. I'm sorry! There's nothing to worry about."

"It's okay. I wanted to come here myself anyways." Sunny's bright smile turned into a smaller one.

"Alright." Basil hesitated, before realizing the ravenette was carrying a heavy looking box. "Oh right! Come in! Don't stand in the cold."

Basil quickly ushered his friend inside, shutting the door behind them.