nine

{ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ: ʀᴇᴄᴜᴘᴇʀᴀᴛɪɴɢ ᴏʟᴅ ʟᴏꜱꜱᴇꜱ}

word count:
3996

warnings ⚠️: explicit language, mentions of suicide and suicidal thoughts

"Silas, you need to get up so we can bury her. And you shouldn't be out in this heat, somethin' bad could happen. Doc said you need to rest, and get plenty of fluids. C'mon," Shane said from behind Silas. "This the same Doc, you claimed knew she was in there?"

The man sighed and squatted down, putting a gentle hand on her back. She shrugged him off but he remained unmoving. He took the discarded gun from her reach, unloading it and turning the safety on.

"You've been out here for hours, Silas. Everyone else has already been burned or buried. We just need Sophia. She wouldn't want to see you like this," Andrea spoke up. This made Silas snap, her eyebrow raising in anger.

"Well ain't that just fuckin' ironic? See, cause' if I remembered correctly and I do, weren't you the same one who kept pulling a gun on people when Amy was bitten?" When Andrea didn't reply, Silas kept it going.

"You were doing the exact same thing, so if I were you I'd walk away and mind my own damn business, because if you do remember what it's like to be in this position, you remember what the rage that I'm feeling is like and would not want to be on its receiving end," Silas snarled, and she turned back around to hold onto her sister.

"And you Shane, you stay the fuck away from me."

"Silas. Silas, can I talk to you for a minute?" Rick appeared on the other side of Sophia. "I'm not movin' right now, Rick so you can—"

"I just want to talk. That's it. I'm not gonna ask you to move and I'm not going to move you," He promised her. Silas nodded, not trusting her voice to speak for her, as Rick sat down on the ground.

"What happened out there? To you?"

Silas swallowed thickly. She had to think for a moment, not really knowing the full extent of what happened herself.

"She was scared. We both were," She started, her voice coming out rasp. "That log where you left us? I told her to stay in there with me, and that you'd be back for us. I told her not to move, but she was— she was scared and she wanted our mom. She just... got up and left not even thirty seconds after you left, so I followed out after her. I used that knife you gave me as much as I could for as long as I could, but it broke off into my hand." She raised her wrapped palm, tucking some of Sophia's hair behind her ear.