CHAPTER 01

It was night, and I was on our bed, sitting and resting against the headboard. I wore a maroon dress, and my hair was completely down. I was reading one of my favorite books by Sophie McKenzie-Close My Eyes, while waiting for my husband. Our kids were on their individual private rooms. My daughter, Lisa, sleep as early as seven, while River, our son, is still awake at seven for he makes a short review of their school's lesson and my tutorials.

I'm a full-time mom, and I do even work at home as an online English tutor. At kahit araw-araw akong nasa bahay, I feel bored sometimes lalo na kapag sa moment na ako lang ang mag-isa, but I never stop doing the things I love. I do zumba, yoga, and pilates as my weekly exercises. I never forget to take care of myself, even though I'm married and have two kids already. Still, I want to look good and feel better.

I get my phone and touch the screen, there are no calls or texts from my husband, and every time he does these, mas lalo akong nag-aalala. I went to my contacts and looked for his number. His sweet name appeared. I looked at it for a moment before I pressed the call sign. He got an answer after ringing twice.

"Yes, hon?" Bakas sa tono nito ang pagkawalang gana. And maybe he's tired nor unfeeling well.

"I cooked your favorite dish." He said nothing. "I miss you."

"Yeah, see you later." He heaved a sigh and ended our conversation. I feel a little pain from his voice. I don't know why.

I placed my phone back on the mattress, closed my book, and stood up. I silently went out of the room and secretly checked my kids' rooms. River was on his study table, writing something. I ignored myself to disturb him. I left him in peace and began to walk again, heading to my daughter's room. She sleeps soundly. I watched her for a moment before leaving. I went downstairs, striding to the kitchen to get something to drink.

Opening the fridge, just water and beer side by side. I doubt I will pick the beer, but I want to have it. I need it. I took a bottle of it and opened the lid, then quickly gulped. Hindi ko alam kung okay pa ba ako pero sa isip ko, gusto ko maglasing ng mag-isa.

A moment later, the main door opened. He's here. Tumungga ako sa huling pagkakataon saka ibinalik ang takip nito at mahinahong ipinasok sa refrigerator. Holding my lower lip, I was momentarily dazed as I stared at the table.

"Hon?" I was startled when I saw him entering the kitchen.

"Good evening," I said, and gave him a sweet smile. Lumapit siya sa akin at hinalikan ako sa labi.

"You drank." His eyes gazed on me, and I'm afraid of the way he furiously looked at me. He opens the fridge and gets the empty bottle and puts it down in the trash. I lowered my head.

"Something wrong?" Hindi ko alam kung paano ko siya sasagutin. Natatakot ako sa kaniya.

"Hon, I'm asking you." I lifted my head, meeting his gaze. I sigh inwardly. Pero wala akong balak na sabihin sa kaniya ang paghihinalang meron ako. Hindi pa ako ganoon kasigurado. Ayokong isipin din niya na wala akong tiwala sa kaniya.

"I'm sorry. I'm . . . I'm just tired and . . . I just want to try to drink again. Will you be angry with me?"

He suppressed a smirk. "Hindi okay para sa akin ang iinom ka ng alak. At hindi maganda sa isang babae ang maglasing."

I gently held his arms. "I'm sorry." Para akong nakonsensiya sa aking ginawang balak.

"It's not really okay." He stroked my face. "And never to do this again. Please." I smile, pretending that I'm really fine.