Chapter 10: He was just being kind.

Começar do início

"A what?" Damon asks.

"Look," I say to him, "I know you have the IQ of a two year old and you never apologize, but just be smart and civil with someone other than me for once."

He sticks his tongue out at me while Stefan apologizes. I return the gesture. Elena tells Damon that the sacrifice will happen and that Bonnie can kill Klaus and Elena will be able to come back from the dead. I walk over to Damon and hive him a hug, wrapping my arms around his waist. He puts his arm around my shoulders.

"You can all go to hell," Damon replies. He taps my shoulder twice before I allow him to stomp off.

"He'll come around," Stefan says.

"Perhaps." Elijah walks towards me and turns to Stefan. "May I stay here for the night?"

"Sure," he replies hesitantly.

"I'll show you to a room," I offer.

"That would be very much appreciated," Elijah smiles at me.

We walk side by side up the stairs and down the hall to the room next to mine. I open the door, stopping in the doorway, allowing him to pass. "If you need anything, I'm right next door. I get up pretty early so if you need anything in the morning don't worry about waking me up," I assure him.

"Thank you, Penny. For everything you have done today. I nod.

"Oh! I almost forgot. Do you want a pair of sweatpants to sleep in? I have a clean pair of Damon's in my room."

"I think it would be more comfortable, yes."

(Overall idea)

(Overall idea)

I turn around and motion for him to come with me. "Alright then, come with me." We walk next door to my room and I open the large wooden door, revealing a medium sized room with green wallpaper. The bed is centered on the back wall. I walk over to my antique dresser and grab a pair of Damon's sweatpants for Elijah. "Here you go." I hold out the sweatpants. He takes them and looks down, seemingly contemplating something. "Yes?" I ask him.

He sighs, keeping his head down. "Are you and Damon a thing?"

I start laughing hysterically. "No, not in a million years," I say in between laughs. I take a deep breath. "I have his sweatpants because I took them a week ago and just kept them because they're comfortable."

"Okay," he nods.

"Might I ask why you asked?"

He looks me in the eyes. "I just wanted to know why you had his sweatpants and if you two were involved since you seem close."

"Yeah, well, I have been his friend since he was fifteen and I was eleven." I turn around and start to pick out my pajamas. "I also heard you enjoy reading." I hear him take a seat in the chair. "You can always grab a book from my room if you don't feel comfortable taking one from the study. Also, if you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them."

"I'll make you a list," he tells me. "And thank you for your hospitality even though this isn't your house."

"Yeah, well it basically is and Damon and Stefan think so too. As soon as I met Damon, his house became my second home. Well, now my first home." I take off my pants.

"Oh," he exclaims, turning around.

"Sorry, if you feel uncomfortable I apologize. I just have always seen undergarments like a bathing suit so I don't typically think much about changing in front of people with my underwear on." I pull on my striped pajama shorts.

"No, you didn't make me uncomfortable, I just don't want to make you feel that way," he assures, hesitantly looking back toward me. He gets up and looks at one of my bookcases, admiring the collection.

I turn slightly and slip off my shirt and jacket, slipping on one of Damon's old tops. I unhook my bra and slide it off.

"Thank you for the pants," he says gratefully. "I'm going to go get ready for bed, I will see you tomorrow morning." He kisses my hand and leaves my room, closing the door behind him.

Not thirty seconds later, Elena walks in and closes my door before motioning for me to get my phone. I do so and look at her with furrowed eyebrows. I hear my phone ding. The notification says "New messages from El:)"

I click on the notification and it takes me to our texts. "OMG I was listening to your conversation with Elijah just now and he totally likes you!"

I look at her and shake my head before typing back: "No, he was just being kind. I'm confident and all, but I don't think an Original that has lived for a thousand years would have a crush on me."

She scoffs while writing back a response. My phone dings and I look at the message. "He totally was jealous when he asked about you and Damon."

I roll my eyes and change the subject, this time aloud. "No. How are you feeling about all of the sacrifice drama?"

"I just want to keep my friends and family safe," she says. I nod and get up to give her a hug. We stay there for a few minutes. "I'm going to go to bed. Goodnight, Penny."

"Sweet dreams, E."

I turn off the lights, lay down in my bed, and pull out my book, reading a few chapters before setting it down and going to sleep.