buns are in the oven

"Okay- I'm ready

"Okay- I'm ready." Aaliyah took a deep breath, admiring her simple outfit in the mirror before turning to her mother and grinning.

Today was her 8 week scan, and boy oh boy was she hyped. She was also like, shit scared, but she was so insanely excited to be able to see her baby for the first time.

Fez was on his way to drop ash at his friend Loui's before coming back to Maria's to meet her properly for the first time, and to say the boy was nervous was a huge understatement.

He didn't know what he was more terrified for. The scan, or meeting Aaliyah's mother and having to talk to her.

"You look so pretty sweetheart." Maria said softly, pulling her eldest daughter into a hug before a knock on the front door pulled them out of their little moment.

"Oh my god it's fez!" Aaliyah squealed slightly, running downstairs to the door, opening it and instantly throwing herself into her boyfriend who caught her and hugged her close to him with ease.

"Hiya baby, slow down you've only been here for a few days." Fez laughed, kissing his girlfriends temple before setting her down on the terrace floor and reaching his hand out to Maria.

"Oh you have no idea, she was screaming and crying yesterday evening because we had no froot loops." Maria giggled, shaking fez's hand gently.

"Oooookay- we better get going thanks mum bye!" Aaliyah rushed out, instantly walking out and slamming the door behind her so her mother couldn't expose her any more.

"She seems nice." Fez giggled, Aaliyah rolling her eyes as she let out a cynical scoff.

"Yeah, when she's not exposing every aspect of my mood swings."

———

"Aaliyah Morelli?" A lady called out in the waiting room, Aaliyah and fez instantly standing up and walking towards the kind looking midwife.

The woman took the two to a small but not too small, white and pink room with cute small decorations dotted around. It was snug, not a horrible size, and was surprisingly comforting, especially for the first time mother.

"Hi Aaliyah, I'm Ellen. Todays your 8 week scan if I got that correct?" The midwife said, Aaliyah smiling and nodding a bit in approval. "Okay. I'm going to ask you a few questions, it's general procedure, and I'll give you two the chance to ask any questions before we get you up onto the bed for your scan. Does that sound okay to you?" Ellen asked, Aaliyah nodding again, now slightly anxious as fez reached over and squeezed her hand gently in reassurance.

———

"Okay sweetie this will feel cold at first so I do apologise for that, but don't worry it will subside." Ellen reassured, squeezing some of the ultrasound gel onto Aaliyah's lower stomach and pressing the transducer against it, Aaliyah flinching slightly at the sudden contact before focusing her eyes on the screen beside her bed.

"Okay, well, from the looks of it, all is healthy. Would you like to hear your babies tiny heartbeat?" Ellen asked, looking between fez and Aaliyah as fez nodded slightly along with his girlfriend.

Tears filled the couples eyes as the sound of a gentle heartbeat filled the room, fez squeezing Aaliyah's hand slightly as she smiled at him in pure adoration. Of course, to them, nothing sounded strange or wrong. But, to the midwife, it was different.

"Hm, that's strange." Ellen frowned, moving the transducer around a bit and frowning even more.

"What? What's wrong?" Aaliyah asked, her anxiety picking up slightly as she tried to sit up but was gently moved back down by Fezco.

"Nothings necessarily wrong, but somethings weird. I can hear two heartbeats, but I'm only seeing one baby." Ellen mumbled, Aaliyah's eyes widening slightly.

"W- what- two?!" Fez stammered, eyes also widening as the couple stared at the midwife in utter bafflement.

"Yeah, yeah there's definitely two heartbeats there. Hold on for me while I get another midwife to help me, I do apologise I'm fairly new to this." Ellen said, striding out the room only to return with a slightly older midwife seconds later.

"Hi Aaliyah, I'm Michelle. I'm going to take over this part of the ultrasound to see what's going on, if that's okay?" Michelle asked, Aaliyah nodding slightly as her frown never left her features.

"Okay..." Michelle breathed, moving the wand over Aaliyah's lower abdomen before turning the screen almost fully so Aaliyah and fez could get a good look on it.

"Okay yep. So, that there is two babies." She said, more tears rolling down Aaliyah's face as she wiped them away hastily.

"What... twins?" Aaliyah whispered, looking at Michelle and Ellen with fear and confusion written all over her face, the same as fezco.

"Yes, twins. And they seem to be identical, as there's only one amniotic sac from what Ellen and I can see." Michelle explained, a small t Aaliyah's lips as she sat up, pulling her hoodie down without even bothering to wipe the gel off first.

"I-I'm seventeen I can't- I can't have twins." She panicked, Michelle's face softening with sympathy as she rested a hand gently on Aaliyah's shoulder.

"I know this is a terrifying and new experience for you, but just know that Ellen and your boyfriend will be by your side every step of the way. You're not alone, Aaliyah."

Aaliyah looked at fez frantically, the same baffled expression on his face as Ellen's.

"I can print a few copies of your ultrasound if you guys are wanting to leave now?" Ellen asked, Aaliyah nodding absentmindedly as she wiped a few stray tears that rolled slowly down her cheeks.

"Look, baby, I know you scared, but it's all gon be aight. You my strong girl, n dem babies in there are gon be strong as fuck too. You got me every step of the way beautiful, no matter what yo decision is." Fez mumbled to Aaliyah as Michelle and Ellen spoke between themselves while printing the ultrasound scans out.

"I know i just- twins? That's scary fez, and extremely brash considering this is my first ever pregnancy and our first child- well, children." Aaliyah responded, playing with fez's fingers slightly while they waited patiently.

"Yeah, I getchu ma. But, I promise, no matter what, you gon be okay." Her boyfriend whispered before pressing a gentle kiss to Aaliyah's temple, watching as Michelle walked back over to the couple and handing Aaliyah the small stack of ultrasound copies.

Aaliyah stared down at the glossy card in her hands, fingers tracing slightly over the black and white imprints as thoughts clouded her mind, one particular thought sticking out more than anything.  Holy fuck. Twins.

1122

1122