testing the waters

"Who is i- AALIYAH?" Maria Morelli shouted happily, instantly dragging her eldest daughter into a tight embrace as she opened the front door for her

"Hi mom." Aaliyah giggled, hugging her mother back as they rocked back and forth slightly, having not seen much of each other for the past few months.

Aaliyah practically lived with fezco. This was because Maria and Aaliyah were so alike that they were more like sisters than mother and daughter, which came with a lot more problems than you'd think. Being like sisters came with the part where they'd argue like sisters, and that was an almost daily occurrence until Aaliyah got tired of it and distanced herself for both her own and her mothers benefit. Maria was grateful for her daughters decision, as she knew they were ruining each other and that she'd never have the guts to step away from her family like Aaliyah did the day she moved in with fez.

"Oh I missed you, ya fuckin bitch! You said you'd visit!" Maria whined as she dragged Aaliyah into the kitchen, offering Aaliyah a glass of wine to which the younger girl shook her head apprehensively.

That was the first off sign in Maria's eyes. Aaliyah NEVER declined a glass of wine. Something was terribly wrong.

"So like, I kind of have something i want to talk to you about." Aaliyah mumbled shyly, looking away from her mother who just folded her arms and leaned against the counter behind herself.

"Go on?" Maria said, gesturing for Aaliyah to continue as her daughter cleared her throat and swallowed hard.

"B-basically I- um- I'm pregnant. Aaliyah mumbled, looking away for a few more seconds before looking at her mother, who had a surprisingly calm expression on her face.

"Fuck, well i was going to lecture you but who the fuck am I to judge? I had you at 19 and did it all while single, darling. I'm behind you every step of the way, whichever path you decide to take." Maria reassured, making Aaliyah exhale a shaky breath she wasn't aware she'd been holding, nodding a bit at her mother.

"Oh my fucking god mom I don't think you understand how scared I was to tell you. I thought you'd behead me or something." Aaliyah laughed breathlessly, clearly extremely relieved by her mums reaction.

"Just because I'm calm doesn't mean I'm 100% down with the idea Aaliyah Rosanna! It would just be incredibly hypocritical of me to judge you. Regardless, I want to meet your boyfriend and his family this Friday, make sure he shows. No excuses." Maria said sternly before leaving the kitchen, Aaliyah sat up on the counter by herself as she thought through everything that her mother had just said.

She pulled her phone from her back pocket and messaged fezco as soon as she could.

Aaliyah<3
Mum wants to meet
you and ash this Friday.
Be there, she isn't giving
us any other option.

Fez<3
Fuck, so I guess we gotta
tell ash asap then?

Aaliyah<3
Yup <3

Aaliyah shoved her phone back in her pocket before jumping off the counter carefully, already heading straight to the pantry to find whatever food she'd be willing to eat.

———

"Oh, ew. You're back." Alanis said bluntly as she entered the Morelli household, her bland tone of voice contrasting her almost happy facial expressions at the sight of her big sister.

"Yeah, i guess I realised that ash doesn't stink as bad as you do and that only you can make a house smell as bad as you do." Aaliyah shrugged, taking a sip of her coke before placing it down on the coffee table and walking to her younger sister, pulling her into a gentle hug.

"Did you tell her?" Alanis asked.

Aaliyah just nodded, continuing the hug between her and her sister before pulling away and smiling down at the slightly shorter girl.

"I hate to admit it, but I was starting to miss your dumbass." Aaliyah mumbled, pressing a chaste kiss to the top of her sisters head before pulling away and walking off without giving Alanis the chance to retort an insult or blunt response to the statement.

———

"So, what do you think your mom is gonna think of me and ash when we come over on Friday?" Fezco asked down the phone as Aaliyah got comfortable in her childhood bed.

"Ugh, that's the problem. Mom is like, a really spontaneous person and her opinion differs when it comes to literally everyone. But don't panic, I'm sure she's going to absolutely adore the two of you if you don't overdo it and just act like yourselves." Aaliyah said, trying to sound as cheery as possible but she couldn't help let her apprehensive tone peek through what she'd said.

"You don't sound so sure, princess."

"No, no i am! I promise I am, I'm just kinda scared myself you know? Like, to tell ash. I know I've already said this but, what if he fully hates us when we tell him?" Aaliyah mumbled, playing gently with a loose thread on her bedsheets as she heard fez sigh and clear his throat slightly from the other end of the line.

"Nah, you trippin' ma. He's gon love it all, even if it takes him a lil while to adjust to it all. Anyway, you got any ideas on how we gon tell him that he's gon be an uncle?" Fez asked, his voice peeking up slightly as he vaguely changed the topic of conversation. 

Aaliyah smirked slightly, her brain racing as she took a deep breath, staring up at the ceiling as her phone rested to the side of her head on her pillow, one hand still playing with the thread as the other lay gently over her still flat stomach.

"Oh, I have a few ideas that might just work."

986

986