Chapter Sixteen! (Legit)

Chapter Sixteen:

Enjoy, you lurking gremlins... enjoy.

- = - = - = -

When Noi and I get back to the apartment from our second date, it's unnervingly quiet. Not the sound of shouting, arguing, or even dim-witted explanations. I walk in behind Noi and make my way into the kitchen. Listening carefully as I pour a bowl of cereal, I try to make out any of the other Daemos.

"It's quiet..." Noi hums, noticing the same.

"Do you think someone died?" I ask, trying to jest about the eerie silence. Noi shakes his head, not as much amused as I am by the comment.

"I'm not sure, but I don't think it's good still."

...He's probably not wrong about that. I take in a deep breath and let it out, settling my nerves. There's been enough tension around here already, and then there's the whole reveal of being a Daemos. Not to mention that, in all honesty, I'll probably have to go back to Arizona soon. Rent is still a thing, and I didn't pay in advance.

"Are you alright, [Y/N]?" Noi squeaks, bring me back from my thoughts.

Looking down, I realize that I've been zoned out for a few minutes. My cereal that I just poured is already starting to sog... gross. I look at Noi with a soft smile on my lips, reassuring him of my current state.

I huff a small breath, "Yeah, everything is fine,"

Noi's expression turns upwards into one of doubt. The concerns that a Daemos should not generally display in public-- doubts, weaknesses, frailness, instability-- most of them I can recognize in his eyes.

"But everything is not fine..." He whispers, a looming weight pouring into the moment.

The sudden shift in energy from him is enough to catch me off guard. It focuses on me so much that I fail-- or maybe forget-- to say anything in turn.

Noi continues in my lack of response, "The others have found out that you're one of us... And now I don't know what that's going to mean for you and your safety. You've been here so long, and yet you still have magic too?"

His eyes meet mine, a look of such distress for the situation that it pangs my heart. His form slouches, leaning over the counter. Noi's eyes lower onto the countertop, as if to avoid my gaze.

"They might try to hurt you or force you to get us home..."

"You're worried for my safety?" I ask, confirming what I'm seeing.

Noi's hands fidget, his lips pursed into a thin line. He's nervous. I lean forward and put my hands over his, in turn causing him to react and look at me. I reassure him once more with a smile.

"I've lived long enough on my own to be able to protect myself. But I appreciate your concerned care, Noi."

I manage to crack a smile out of him. We stay like this for a while, having pushed my cereal out of the way. I brush my thumb over the back of his hands. For all the fighting Daemos are known to partake in, his are rather soft.

"[Y/N]...?" Noi mumbles, squeezing my hand.

I hum, "Yes?"

"I'll protect you, you know. Just because you know how to fight alone... doesn't mean you should." His voice fades into a whisper by the end of his sentence.

I squeeze his hands back.

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you."

He lets out a breath, easing up from a stiff stand of tension. 

------

ZeZee: Short chapter, but a chapter nonetheless! I woulda wrote more but I'm going out today and have to get ready. Actually I'm going to the mall with co-author Valby. Plus I wrote this bit on my own because I actually took my medicine for ADHD today soooo

Lucky you! OK GOTTA GO GET READY BYE NICE DAY!