Chapter 12

Sun's search through the warehouse could be summed up in multiple different words.

Mundane, for one, was a good way to describe it, as well as repetitive and frustrating and a waste of valuable time. Of course, there wasn't much they could do to end the cycle of searching and cleaning they'd been forced into. Truthfully, they were lucky enough to be able to be making progress at all with how heavily their programming was beginning to weigh down on them. "I swear, this wasn't such an overbearing task when you were around." Sun mumbled quietly under their breath, tutting unhappily as they wiped down another useless piece that they'd found caked in dust in the long lines of storage boxes around them.

On occasion, they'd manage to find some remotely important-looking parts, each of which were delicately piled in a depressingly small mound of goods to bring back, but the building was mostly filled with parts made for older models. The most prominent being creaky endoskeleton joints and empty suit heads that gave Sun the creeps as they stared through with their eyeless sockets.

Six rows through and Sun finally found what looked to be a rectangular-shaped flashlight buried inside of one of the boxes. Lifting the object in question Sun flicked the switch on and- Sun screeched, fumbling with the box as electricity popped and crackled in front of them threateningly before kicking it out of sight. Maybe it would be best to just stick with the glowsticks.

Hours later and the contents began to look a bit more promising. There was plating, batteries, and charging cables, all completely outdated of course, but still in good enough condition that they added them to the pile. Who knows, maybe the minis could find a use for it all.

With newfound hope, Sun reached for the next box only to flinch as a loud clatter suddenly resounded from within the building. Startled, Sun frantically looked around, catching a glimpse of what looked to be the shadow of a long ear ducking around the corner from the box that had been knocked off its shelf, contents scattered across the floor of the entrance and- oh dear stars the door was opening.

Sun muffled a scream as they ducked behind the shelf in front of them, watching as the light from streetlamps outside crept into the warehouse, a shadowed figure lurking in the doorway, oblivious to Sun's rising panic.

The figure slinked into the building, pupils almost glowing as they glanced around, locking onto Sun's pile of parts from its place by the first few shelves for a moment before gazing at the shelves again more thoughtfully, their grip on the door tightening as their eyes narrowed in suspicion. Sun fidgeted with the ribbons that made up their make-shift sling, doing their best to hide away from the other only to remember the glowsticks hanging off their neck all too late.

Glowing rings of lilac locked onto the lights and Sun froze for a split second before doing the first thing they could think of: they ran.