𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Start from the beginning

When training ended, Artemis and Sirius apparated together to their little house, but when they let themselves inside, they weren't alone. James, Lily, Marlene, Mary, and Peter were all crowded around the kitchen table, talking in low voices. When Sirius and Artemis walked in, Marlene sprang to her feet.

"Turn into a dog!" she cried, running over and snatching Sirius by the collar of his shirt. "I need proof!"

Sirius's mouth fell open and he looked over Marlene's shoulder at James and Peter. They pointed at each other in explanation. "He did it."

"Who told you?" Artemis asked Marlene.

"Neither of them," said Lily. "It was Remus. Before he left."

Sirius and Artemis stared at each other. "Remus told you?"

"Yes, and why shouldn't he have?" Marlene said crossly. "He should've told us years ago."

"That isn't up to us," said Mary, trying to diffuse the situation. "But yes, I would've liked to know too."

Sirius grinned down at Marlene. "So you know everything? Remus is a werewolf, and me, James, and Peter-"

"All turned into animagi to help him through his transformations," Marlene said impatiently. "Yes, Loopy explained the whole thing. Got all teary eyed about it and even made Mary cry- but that's beside the point- I've seen James and Peter transform, I wanna see you." Then, she rounded on Artemis and narrowed her eyes. "You don't turn into anything, right?"

Artemis snorted. "God, no. They did this one of the years Sirius and I weren't speaking."

"Ah, got it." Marlene's eyes flickered back to Sirius. "What're you waiting for? Do it!"

Sirius laughed and tossed his bag on the kitchen floor, then in an instant, was replaced by a large, shaggy black dog with a goofy looking face. Marlene shrieked in excitement and held her hands out to scratch behind Sirius's ears. "Oh, look at you!"

"He's so cute!" cried Mary, joining Marlene in petting Sirius's shaggy fur.

Lily crossed the room and put an arm around Artemis's shoulders. "You're about to lose your boyfriend to a lesbian," she teased.

Sirius was tilting his head and wagging his tail, playing up the cuteness. Artemis chuckled. "Alright, Snuffles, come off it."

In a second, he was standing again. "Snuffles?"

"It's fitting," murmured Marlene. "Anyway, you're cuter as a dog."

"Watch yourself, McKinnon, or I'll stop buying that muggle wine you like so much."

Marlene stuck out her lower lip. "But it's so much better at your house."

The seven of them moved into the living room and settled themselves by the fire. When they first moved in, Sirius and Artemis had accidentally set their living room up exactly like the Gryffindor common room, but once they realized what they'd done, they couldn't go back. It was the perfect set-up for their family.

Marlene was lying on her back on the floor, her legs kicked up to the ceiling. "Work's been brutal."

"Trouble with the Night Bus?" said James, only half teasing.

She groaned. "It's not the bus itself, it's the fucking people who ride it. Sketchiest witches and wizards you'll ever see."

"I knew that job would be dangerous," said Sirius.

"More dangerous than auror training?" Marlene challenged, arching one eyebrow at him.

Sirius stood up. "At least we're in a controlled environment. Who else wants popcorn?"

Everyone raised their hands. Artemis got up to pour herself and Mary a drink. From the armchair on the far side of the fireplace, Lily sat on James's lap and looked around the room with mild dissatisfaction. "It's not the same without Moony. Oh- oh my god."

"What?" asked James, all at once alarmed.

She was sitting straight up, eyes wide. "Moony. Like- like- because he's a werewolf. And the moon!"

Sirius re-appeared in the doorway, laughing. "And now it hits her. Why did you think we called ourselves Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs."

"Padfoot," Mary echoed, thinking hard.

"Prongs- like antlers!" cried Marlene.

Lily, Mary, and Marlene were all staring back and forth between Sirius, James, Peter, and Artemis, a mixture of mutiny and satisfaction in each of their expressions. Artemis lit a cigarette and motioned for Sirius to come and sit with her on the couch. "Moony would be having a field day with this right now."

"He'll be back," Sirius said softly. "Better be soon, though."

An hour or two later, James got to his feet. "Ready, Pads?"

Sirius jumped up. "Yup."

"Hold up," Marlene said loudly, setting her wine glass on the coffee table. "Where d'you two think you're going?"

"Patrol," James said lightly, reaching down to ruffle her hair.

She frowned. "Oh, patrol- right, like- at the Hog's Head with some firewhiskies?"

Sirius grinned. "That's right, McKinnon." He bent down to kiss Artemis on top of her head. "I'll try and be home as early as possible, okay?"

"Should I wait up?" she asked softly, pulling him back to kiss him again.

"That's alright, I'll just see you in the morning."

James and Sirius disappeared out the door and everyone stared after them for a second, a little sad at how difficult it was to get everyone together these days. Then, Lily stood up and flipped the record on the turntable. "Wake up, everyone," she said, twirling to the music. "We've got all fucking night."