𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

They trooped back down to the campsite, where nearly ever tent had been covered in sky blue streamers. James looked like he was going to cry. He sat at the campfire Lily started with a flick of her wand, too impatient to try it any other way, and sank his face into his hands. "I can't believe they lost," he murmured through his fingers.

Artemis sat next to him and set a comforting hand on his back. "Well, we've got loads of whiskey and probably a little weed to help with that."

"Thank fucking Merlin."

By the time darkness fell over the campsite, a large group of people had gethered once again, and spirits were lifting. James was dancing around the fire with Lily as Frank and Mary strummed hard on their guitars, and a faction of the crowd was clapping along to the beat and singing some silly campfire song. Artemis couldn't help laughing when Remus stood up and pulled Marlene into the center, both stumbling with drunkenness, trying to match James and Lily's dance moves.

Sirius took a drag from a blunt Frank had rolled him and blew it out, handing it over to Artemis. "I think..." he said slowly, "James is going to recover from this."

"You think so?" Artemis said sarcastically, resting her chin on Sirius's shoulder. "What an... astute prediction."

Sirius laughed. "You're high."

"Your eyes are red," Artemis shot back, grinning at him in the low firelight.

He took her hand and pulled her to her feet. "Come on, let's show them how it's really done."

He twirled her around, catching her when she stumbled. She leaned against his chest for a second, then twirled again to the music, her hair fanning out around her. It had been so long since she'd danced like this, in the warm summer air, fire crackling behind her. She remembered the night at the vineyard, when she'd finally realized she had feelings for Sirius. They'd come so far since then. He spun her again and again until she was dizzy, clutching to him and laughing so hard she couldn't breathe.

"Come on," he said, taking her hand and heading back towards the forest.

Once they were in the cover of the trees, she pulled him in and kissed him, his back against a tree trunk, his hands on her waist. He kissed her deeper, her back arching against his hands, her fingers trailing again and again through his hair. His hands fumbled with the hem of her tank-top, pulling it upwards.

She pushed them away, pulling him back to kiss him again, but his hands went back to take her shirt off again. She stepped back. "No, don't-"

"Just-"

Yet again, his hands fumbled with her shirt, and she flinched away. "Don't do that," she said softly.

"Wait- why not?"

"Jesus, I just don't want you to," she said crossly, then turned and stormed back towards the fire.

He grabbed her hand before she reached the edge of the forest and pulled her back, his eyes serious, concerned. "Are you alright? Did I-"

"I just don't want to do- that- right now," she said, shaking him off.

He nodded. "Yeah, and that's fine, but you- you flinched."

In that moment, she hated him. She hated people treating her like a breakable object, something to feel sorry for. "I didn't flinch," she lied. "I just moved back, I didn't want you to take my shirt off with a hundred fucking people around-"

"And I'm sorry!" he said, equally annoyed. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable-"

"You didn't make me fucking uncomfortable!" she whisper-shouted. She couldn't stand him looking at her like that. Like there was something wrong with her. "Why can't things just be simple?"

He widened his eyes in aggravated confusion. "Art, nothing about this is simple. With the amount of things you've been through, every time we have sex, I'm- I worry!"

"Fuck that!" she said, no longer bothering to whisper. "Fuck that! Just trust me for once! I don't understand why it's so hard to just trust that I'm fine until I tell you I'm not!"

"Because that's not how it works!" he said, running his hands through his hair until it stood up at odd ends. "Because I'm not worried about that- I'm worried about you not telling me if you are uncomfortable-"

She stepped back, scowling at him. "And that's where trust comes in, you idiot. It's not that fucking hard, and it's not a big deal-"

"It is a big deal if you're upset!" he said. He had no idea what she wanted him to do. He wished she would just tell him, just help him fix the problem. He took a deep breath. "What do you want from me?"

"I want you to not fucking be scared to touch me," she said coldly.

He threw his hands up in exasperation. "I thought we were fighting because I tried to take your shirt off!"

"And then when I said no, you got all freaked out- It's exhausting, Sirius." She pressed her hands to her temples. "I dunno if you think you're going to end up like Bones- or like any of the other guys who decided for me that I would fuck them, but whatever it is- snap out of it and just trust me!"

"I do trust you," he shot back fiercely. "I trust you with my life, but I need you to- to-" He didn't know how to finish the sentence.

She gave him a look of pure disgust, then turned on her heel. "Jesus fucking Christ, sober up. I'm going to bed."