𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Griffiths!" Sirius, James, and Remus all roared at once.

"Griffiths, Knight, White, Stone, Stone, and Hughes," the announcer called out cheerfully. "And for the opening performances, the Appleby Cornish Pixies, and the Puddlemere Red Caps!"

"Ah, I hate the opening ceremonies," Frank groaned, leaning back in his seat. "They're cool and all, but I'm here for the game."

Alice shook her head, enraptured in what was happening on the field. "Ah, but look at the pixies!"

"Those things are brutal," said Remus, scratching the back of his head. "They'd better have them under control."

The pixies zoomed out of their cages and started taking formation, spelling out the letters to the Arrows infamous chant. The crowd watched in awe until the pixies were put away, and a storm of Red Caps took the field, playing out a dance routine so bad, it was funny. Artemis squinted down at them. "This is all Puddlemere's got?"

"They're known for their absolute shit-show of opening performances," Sirius murmured in her ear. "Their captain said it was because they 'just want to get on with the damn game."

Artemis laughed and sat back in her seat. "Well, when are they going to just get on with the damn game?"

"Give them a minute," Mary said impatiently. "You lot are so finicky sometimes."

She was right. It was only a moment before the Red Caps disappeared and the players strode back out onto the field, standing in a line, waiting for the match to begin. James was practically shaking with excitement. The announcers voice boomed again, "Without further ado, let's have a clean match, boys, and let the game begin!"

Thunderous cheers rose up from all sides of the stadium as the players took to the air. After that, it wasn't often that anyone stayed in their seats. Artemis hung over the edge of the railing, watching the players zoom back and forth overhead. Marlene leaned over to her. "Why're they all men?" she said, wrinkling her nose. "I mean, I'm a way better keeper than Hughes'll ever be."

"Then you take over," Lily said mildly, swiping James's binoculars from his hands. "Ooh, look- Arrows scored."

"Ah, it's a charity case," said Sirius. "Don't worry, Evans, we've got this one in the bag."

The match went on forever. Dusk was approaching at last, and the teams were tied. Everyone was getting antsy. "They've got to pull ahead," Remus kept muttering under his breath. "They've got to. We can't lose to the Arrows- it's an embarrasment, it is."

"Want me to change your shirt back, Potter?" Marlene said, half-joking.

"They're not going to win!" James said loudly, standing back up on his chair and watching the players intensely. He winced. Adams, the Arrow's seeker, was in a head-dive. Close behind, Griffiths was spiraling, trying to catch up."

Sirius pounded his feet on the bleachers. "They've got better brooms!" he shouted to nobody in particular. "Get him, Griffiths! Get him!"

But it was too late. Adams' hand had closed around the golden snitch and he was circling the pitch in victory, the jumbo-tron zoomed in on the elated smile covering his face. Artemis collapsed back into her seat. "You've got to be kidding."

"They won," James said in a hoarse daze. "They actually won. I don't believe it."

Mary stood up and stretched. "Well, the after-party better make up for this, or I'm going to go buy an Arrows flag and join up."

"I bet so much money on this shit," Frank thundered.

Alice took him gently by the arm. "Come on, I'm sure you can weasel your way out of some of it. Let's go."