Only he wasn't. Next to him, Artemis was looking around the same way he was, only it wasn't a look of dread for the future in her eyes. She was excited. She beamed up at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "You know what this means, Sirius?"

He couldn't help smiling. "What?"

"We're on our own."

Sirius couldn't figure out why she looked so happy. They were on their own. They didn't have much money. They didn't have parents to fall back on like most of their classmates. "That's exactly what I was thinking."

"No, Sirius! The entire world is ours now. We can do whatever the fuck we want- at least until tomorrow morning when Remus picks us up for that bloody road trip, but after that... imagine, Sirius..."

Now, Sirius could tell why she'd been smiling. For the first time ever, they were really, truly free. He laughed and pulled her closer, leaning down to kiss her. "Alright, then, where are we staying tonight?"

"Surprise me."

Sirius thought for a split second, then took Artemis by the waist, flicked his wand at their bags, and seconds later, they were standing on the doorstep of the Leaky Cauldron. "Good enough for you, Blake?"

"I would be happy with the dingiest shack in London right now," said Artemis, the high of finally being on their own still alive in her eyes. "Come on."

She pulled him inside and immediately went up to the front desk where a middle aged, withered looking man stood marking rooms in a large book. "I'm Tom," he said when he saw Artemis and Sirius. "How can I help you?"

"Hi Tom," Artemis said cheerily. "My boyfriend and I need a room for tonight, what do you have open?"

Tom flipped a page in his book. "Well, an entire family here for a wedding just checked out, so I'll give you the best I've got."

"How about the cheapest you've got?" Sirius asked with a charming grin.

Tom let out a raspy laugh. "You students?"

"Not anymore," said Artemis.

"Well, I'll give you the best rate we've got. Linda! Take their bags up to six, alright?" He turned back to Sirius and Artemis. "Follow me then."

They followed him up a winding set of stairs to a cozy looking room with a slanted ceiling and a large window letting golden evening light stream onto the wooden slats of the floor. "This is perfect, Tom," said Sirius, taking a step closer to Artemis.

"Everything look alright?" asked Tom.

"Looks great," said Artemis. "Thanks."

"Feel free to stop down for a drink and some conversation," said Tom. "Make yourselves at home." And with that, he nodded and shuffled out of the room.

Artemis turned in a slow circle, taking in the room, breathing in the dusty air. So this was what freedom felt like. A room at an inn all to herself and the boy she loved. She felt Sirius's hands on her waist. She grinned up at him.

"Now I get why you were so happy about being on our own," he said, moving closer to her.

She giggled and pulled him in to kiss him, backing towards the bed and drawing him with her. "See? We can do whatever we want now."

"Yeah, well-" Sirius's hands trailed under her shirt, slowly pulling it upwards as they laid back on the bed. "-There's only one thing I want to do right now."

~

Artemis woke up to Sirius's arms wrapped around her bare stomach and blinding light streaming through the large window. There was a banging on the door, and she sat up, her hair a mess over her face. "Sirius," she muttered groggily. "Sirius, there's someone at the door."