38 - Time Travel!

Start from the beginning

"Shut the front the door." Bruce says, surprised.

"We're down on Pym Particles," Rhodey sighs heavily, "there's not enough for all of us."

"I'll stay." I say confidently.

"Laurie." Steve sighs.

"It's alright," I smile, "I'll stay by the machine to make sure nothing else happens."

"Alright." Steve nods.

The team move over to the platform and prepare themselves for the mission. 

"We have a plan, six Stones, three teams, one shot," Steve begins his pep talk, "five years ago, we lost. We lost family, we lost friends, we a part of ourselves. Today is our chance to get it all back. You know your teams; you know your missions. Get the stones, bring them back. One trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going places we know, but that doesn't mean we know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. We're going to win. Whatever it takes. Good luck."

"You heard him, Marty," Tony says, "get it going."

"It's going," I say, "good luck."

"See you in a minute." Nat smiles before everyone disappears.

A few seconds later, the platform starts going again. Everyone returns looking happy, but Clint drops to his knees with a betrayed look on his face.

"Clint," I panic and run over to him, "where's Nat?"

Clint looks up at me, scared, confused and on the verge of tears. The look on his face tells the team everything that happened.

"No..." I whisper, dropping to the floor and burying my face in my hands.

Clint, Steve, Thor, Tony, Bruce and I are out on the dock outside the compound about ten minutes later, and all of us in silence to start with. Steve is sitting on one of the benches, Clint's leaning on one of the support beams, I'm sitting crossed legged on the edge by the water and the other three are standing around the platform.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asks sorrowfully.

"Yeah. Us." I sniffle.

"What?" Thor asks, confused.

"I just asked him a question-"

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead," Thor cuts Tony off, "we have the stones, right? As long as we have them, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it toge-"

"We can't get her back," Clint shouts at Thor, "it can't be undone."

"Ok, you're a very earthly being and we're talking about space magic-"

"Yeah, look, I know I'm way outside my paygrade, but she isn't here, is she? It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say," Clint raises his voice again, "maybe you wanna talk to him. Go grab your hammer, and you go fly and talk to him!"

"Clint-" I stand up and turn to the group.

"It was supposed to be me," his voice begins to shake, "she sacrificed her life that that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

"She's not coming back," Bruce sighs, "we have to make it worth it."

"We will." Steve says confidently.

"We should get going then." Tony says before walking back to the compound, followed by Clint, Bruce and Thor.

I bury my head in my hands, run them through my hair and take a deep, shaky breath before looking over to Steve. 

"Are... are you ok?" He asks hesitantly.

"Steve," I sigh, "I just lost the girl I raised since she was three. There's no way I can be 'ok.' Not for a while anyway."

"I should have gone," I say after a few moments of silence, "I should have gone instead of her."

"Laurie-"

"I've spent years protecting her. Why didn't I this time?"

"Don't blame yourself, Laurie," Steve sighs and puts his arm around me as we begin to walk up to the compound, "you did your best."

"I'm just going to take your word for it," I chuckle softly and hug him, "let's go help the others."

~

"The glove's ready," Rocket informs, "the question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?"

"I'll do it." Thor says.

"Excuse me?" Lang questions.

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait," Steve stops him, "we haven't decided who's going to put it on yet."

"Are we just going to sit around and wait for the right moment?" Thor questions.

"We should at least discuss it." I say.

"No, no," Thor begins, "sitting here staring at it isn't going to bring everyone back. I'm the strongest Avenger so the responsibility falls upon me."

"It's not he fact the glove is channelling enough energy to light up a continent," Tony says, "you're in no condition."

"But my lightning-"

"Lightning won't help you, pal." I inform.

"It's gotta be me," Bruce says, "you saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive. We don't know if I'll survive but the radiation is mostly gamma. It's like I was made for this."

"We're good to go then?" Tony asks, handing Bruce the glove.

"Let's do it." Bruce sighs, taking the glove from Tony.

"Now remember, everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago, and just bringing them back to now. Don't change anything from the last five years." I say.

"Go it." Bruce nods and everyone goes to change into their suits.

"You ready?" Steve asks me as we head back into the room the others are in.

"Never." I chuckle.

"Friday," Tony says, "do me a favour and activate Barn Door Protocol." 

"Yes, boss." Friday replies. 

The facility goes down, covering all the windows and protecting us inside of it.

"Everyone comes home." Bruce whispers and puts the glove on his hand, groaning in pain as the energy from it shoots through him.

"Take it off! Take it off!" Thor panics.

"Bruce, are you ok?" Steve asks.

"Talk to me, Banner." Tony says.

"I'm ok." Bruce reassures everyone.

Thor gives an anxious double thumbs up as Bruce begins to lift his hand to snap his fingers. When he does, he collapses on the floor and the gauntlet slides off his arm.

"Bruce!" Steve shouts and goes to him.

"Don't move him." Tony warns.

"Did it work?" Bruce questions.

"Worth a shot." Thor says.

"It's over," I add, "it's ok."

"Guys!" Scott calls out from the room beside us, "I think- I think it worked!"

The team look up and saw the sky dim, a huge ship flying over with a missile heading towards us.