Chapter 12

It was a cool autumn night in the riverside town of Laureth when Gabriel Niehdre rode down the driveway on a jet–black stallion with his back to the setting sun. The driveway, of course, was to the largest manor in town, where he was to bargain a trade deal. This deal was of great importance to him since the high–quality grains coming from these lands were expensive, but the bread and pastries produced using the goods were even more invaluable. It mattered so much to Gabriel, specifically, since he and his mother, Lynette, owned the small bakery that helped pay the rent.

He still lived in his mother's house at 27, since they grew up poor and he hadn't made enough money to buy a place for himself. It was useless, too, since she was growing old and he felt obligated to care for her, even though she begged him to marry and live the life he'd always dreamed of having. Selling goods on the street he smuggled across the border was not that life, but it was what he ended up with, and his father always taught him that being grateful was one of the most valuable things in life.

The driveway was long and dusty, and farmland stretched as far as he could see to both sides. The mansion, nothing like a farmhouse and more like an estate, loomed in the distance, and its pillars and gates intimidated him. He was becoming better at negotiating, and although what he did was illegal, it brought the money, and the goods, that his family needed.

Several minutes later, his stallion slowed to a stop as the dirt driveway turned to gravel. He was a few yards from the house. Dismounting his horse, he whispered in his ear: "good boy, knight." He waited by his horse, feeling immensely out of place in his riding leathers and with his dark hair, soaked with sweat. While he waited for the owners to greet him, he quickly brushed down his clothing for any dirt or dust residue from riding, running his fingers through his dark brown locks. He didn't have to wait long; however, an older man opened the door to the house, a shorter woman trailing behind. Extending his arm to shake hands, the man introduced himself, the woman taking his horse over to the stables next to the house. Once the horse was secured, Gabriel followed them inside, careful not to track any dirt onto the pristine wooden floors. However intimidating the outside of the mansion appeared, the inside was anything but. Gabriel could only describe it as feeling like a true home, its central living room bright and airy yet worn in with its antique furniture and couches. Plants and books covered almost every surface, and rich, pungent scents wafted from the kitchen.

Instead of bringing Gabriel into his office, he gestured at one of the couches in the living room. "Please, take a seat."

Before Gabriel had a chance to inform the man of what he desired from the arrangement, the man spoke first.

"I received word of your request, and I am eager to fulfill your every desire, but the quantity of grain that you need will not arrive here for another two weeks. During which, you are welcome to stay here in our guest quarters."

Gabriel was surprised, to say the least. First, because the man accepted his offer without hesitation. Second, because he offered his own residence for Gabriel to stay while the grains arrived. For a brief moment, he was speechless.

"Thank you so much, I really appreciate your offer and I would love to stay here while I wait for the shipment."

The man smiled, a genuine smile, causing the corners of his eyes to crinkle.

"I'll show you your rooms."

As the man led Gabriel through the house, he explained that the house was only one floor to accommodate for the intense storms on the plains; tornadoes ripped through the flatlands, followed by immense drought—the climate was variable there.

At last, they reached the rooms where Gabriel would stay: a modest bedroom, painted white and pale blue, with an attached bathroom.

"If you need anything, just ask one of us. Oh—and across the hall is our daughter's room. Celia, we have a visitor!"