"How in the heck?!" Chelsea asked once you guys went back to the lab.
"And where does one find this 'liquid crystal'?" Gen added.
"It's not like actually a crystal that naturally comes in liquid form." Senku explained.
"I imagine it like so tiny that if you take a bunch of them, it looks like liquid." you said.
"Not really, but it does flow like liquid. Kind of exists in that weird in-between state. Hence the name. Lots of different ways to make it." he turned to the chemistry table. "Take this for example: Add N-butylaniline synthesized from aniline to toluene derived from petroleum, and..." he brought the result formula to your face.
You leaned closer and sniffed it. Your eyes widen.
"Smells like Chinese food!" you beamed.
"That's 'cause of the methoxybenzaldehyde obviously."
"Nothing obvious about that I'm afraid." Gen's eyebrows furrowed.
"I think they should just give these things simpler names." you quietly told him, leaning closer. "That'd make it easier."
"I guarantee you it wouldn't."

Kaseki made a squared glass surface and made grooves on it. Senku took it and showed it to everyone.
"Start with glass with these grooves. Then poor Mr. liquid crystal over it, until the substance fills the grooves in nice little lines." he said as he did exactly that. "Next we need glass with the grooves going the other way!"
You gasped.
"Is that what makes pixel?!"
"Kukuku~! Ten billion points for you!" he smiled widely at you before continuing. "Sandwiched between the vertical and horizontal grooves, Mr. liquid crystal gets twisted around, creating a pathway for light. Sort of like a twisted tunnel, going from lengthwise to crosswise." he plugged the contraption to a generator. "With the press of a button we can give it a zap."
He pressed a button and the 'screen' suddenly went dark.
"The electric shock makes Mr. liquid crystal straighten out, so the twisted tunnel doesn't allow light. Those are the spots on the screen that appear dark. All that's left is to add two sheets of vinyl on top!"
"It's baaaad how useful that vinyl stuff is." Chrome said.
"Wherever you touch the screen, there's an electric reaction. And our liquid crystal touch screen is complete!" he smiled. "Now, to make it into a cellphone!" he said, leaving to get Sai's help with the programming.

A while later, Taiju was given a phone, and he cried of joy.
"Oh man, I can't believe it!" he looked at it, his hands shaking. "A real smartphone!"
"It looks adorable too!" you looked at it from every angle and saw the logo on the back. "'Stone Phone'?! That is so cute!"
"Ah, hold on." Senku took it back. "It needs to be plugged to the rest."
"The rest?"
Next thing you knew, Taiju was wearing an entire backpack, and there was also a handset plugged into the touchscreen. But he looked just as happy. You covered your mouth, trying not to laugh.
"It's huge!" everyone exclaimed.

"The core of the phone is still an actual computer after all." Sai said.
"I should've expected that honestly." you nodded.
"Enjoy your 40kg smartphone!" Senku chuckled.
"You know I will!" Taiju exclaimed. "As long as the part you hold is pocket-size!"
"And look," Sai pointed at the screen. "the LCD lets us text, email, and even play video games!"
"That's amazing! Congratulations Taiju," you patted his shoulder. "you're the only person in the entire world to have his own portable phone!"
He sniffed.
"Wow." Nikki folded her arms with a smile. "That's one slick smartphone."

"Senku's such a sweetheart!" Chelsea joined her hands. "All that hard work making the LCD, just for his bestie Taiju!"
"We all know there's more than that." Kohaku said.
"Yup. I got an ulterior motive." Senku bluntly admitted.
Chelsea sighed, disappointed. You leaned closer.
"Senku's the kind of guy to hit two birds with one stone." you spoke quietly. "Every time, he's being sweet and efficient. No matter what he says, his priority will always be to make the people he loves happy." you smiled. "He did make the smartphone first. Don't tell him I said that though, he'd get grumpy at me otherwise."
She smiled.
"Aww~ as his girlfriend, you understand him! That's so cute!"
You chuckled, your eyebrows furrowed and your cheeks dusted with pink.