Part 2

He met Ling Wen in her office, which was as plain as it possibly could: white walls, no windows, only a table with a computer as furniture. No plants, posters, photo frames with family, nothing. He went in, after having knocked softly on the door.

"Xie Lian", she said, "How can I help you?"

He smiled, and said, "Mind if I sit down?"

"Please", she gestured to a chair, looking her normal composed self, although Xie Lian knew she must be puzzled as to why he was just walking in l like that. She waited.

Xie Lian said, "Ling Wen", he paused, "You enrolled in The Heavens with me right? I mean, at my first time, eight years ago".

"That's correct", she replied.

"Long time, but I feel we still hardly know each other", he said.

"Is that so?", she replied, showing a tiny bit of impatience.

"Yes. You're from Xuli right? You started studying System Architecture; you became assistant researcher to Professor Jing Wen, and under his tutoring went into data management, now doing your PhD and being the uni's curriculum's coordinator while having established The Palace of Ling Wen Zhen Jun. Oh what happened to Professor Jing Wen?"

"Retired", she answered, growing more and more impatient.

"At The Palace of Ling Wen Zhen Jun you have a student called Bai Jing right? The records say you're personally mentoring him", he said.

"I believe this is all confidential information, why are you..."

"I was given a login, so I assume I'm authorized to access confidential information? And I didn't share it with anyone, there's no data breach", he paused, "I can't do hacking. Ling Wen, don't super estimate me", and he smiled.

"What's this all about? Why are you interested on Bai Jing? He's doing just fine", she said.

"He's from Xuli too. Your school sweetheart wasn't he? And he's got special needs".

"I just told you he's fine. I'm personally tutoring him and he's perfectly capable of..."

"You're not really tutoring him are you Ling Wen?", Xie Lian interrupted. "You keep him in your Palace all day long, with play-to-earn games. Sometimes through the night".

She was about to reply, but Xie Lian raised his hand, "Remember I have access to this information too. Who comes in and out, what times. What sites they access. I can print these reports any time, you know. These systems are really user-friendly so I could find my way around".

Now Ling Wen was positively pissed off, regretting giving Xie Lian that Administrator login.

"I still don't understand where you're getting at Xie Lian", she replied. "You know Bai Jing is a bit... set in his ways. If he wants to play games all day there's nothing anyone can do. I don't see what's wrong keeping him here; otherwise he'd be at home watching YouTube, not developing his skills at all. Bai Jing isn't good with communicating and other issues, but he's very capable of..."

"The Brocade Immortal, it's his alias on that game he plays right? Keeping him here playing games, not caring about his well-being, away from other people, not working on his communication skills. And he's not only playing games. It's play-to-earn, we could say you're damn rich by now because of him". Xie Lian had a dark expression.

"That's all a safeguarding concern Ling Wen. You've been keeping him away from social services or anyone who can actually help him, for your own gains".

Ling Wen smiled, "Xie Lian, I'm sure you realise this whole talk of you accusing me – you can't prove anything", she concluded.

"I came to have a chat, because I don't know, maybe you did have good intentions towards Bai Jing, he was your sweetheart after all. And you'd want to make amends, only you have to give yourself up and face it".

Ling Wen snorted, "You can't prove anything, didn't you hear me?"

Xie Lian straightened up on his chair, "Ling Wen, I don't have access to transactions from that play-to-earn game Bai Jing plays, but Officer Quan Yizhen has. Actually, he has everything already. And the rest is easy enough to prove I'd say, even though I'm not an expert". He concluded, watching Ling Wen's reactions carefully.

Indeed she was shaken as soon as Quan Yizhen's name was mentioned. She just knew she'd have no chance against that guy; Xie Lian actually came to offer her a chance of giving herself up and having the best outcome for Bai Jing. Quan Yizhen seeing the crypto transactions just proved an investigation was well underway.

"I understand", she replied, as poised as before. "We've known each other for a long time, and yet you went on to dig dirt on me with that Quan Yizhen".

"Ling Wen", Xie Lian said, "There are three things you can't hide: the sun, the moon and the truth".

"Very well. I see the best to do under these circumstances would be to call my lawyer".

"Yes", Xie Lian replied.

"In this case", she said, "Do you mind if I", she paused, "go and see him? Speak to him? He might get upset if he doesn't see me again", she completed.

"Of course. We can just go then", he said, getting up. Ling Wen got up too, and they started to make their way to a small room with a "Private" sign on the door just off the main lab of Ling Wen Zhen Jun Palace, where Bai Jing was based.

They met Pei Ming, who went to see HR about a new member of staff for Ming Guang Palace.

"Ling Wen. Xie Lian", he smiled.

"Pei Ming", Ling Wen nodded, while Xie Lian wondered why Pei Ming was staring at him.

"Hum, Xie Lian, no offense, but every time I see someone with you I can't help thinking they're in trouble", he said.

"Is their trouble my doing?", he replied, coolly.

They got to the room, and Ling Wen knocked on the door softly, and entered. Bai Jing was sitting in front of a computer, wearing headphones; he was twenty-something, tall, black hair tied in a messy ponytail. Ling Wen walked to his side and touched his shoulder.

She said, "We need to talk".

Bai Jing understood, and silently removed his headphones. She turned to Xie Lian, "Can you give us some privacy please?"

"Oh I'm sorry, of course. I, hum, I'm not needed anymore right? You speak to Bai Jing, call your lawyer and you know, get things sorted", he paused, and then he said, "Sorry Ling Wen".

She smiled back, "It's me who's sorry. But thank you".

Xie Lian guessed that was her way of saying no hard feelings; he nodded, and left. He texted Quan Yizhen saying he had that chat, and was done for the day. Confronting Ling Wen was hard, and he felt down, heavy, his body aching all over, so he went straight home.

Thanks for reading! This scene of Xie Lian confronting Ling Wen was a bit strong I think, let me know your thoughts! Please please vote, comment, follow me! 😉