Chapter 2: Orphanage

"Release her if you know what's good for you," Cocolia advised Bronya, jolting me awake. I lay near Bronya, unnoticed by her.

"What's your name, little sniper, and how about you, little assassin?" inquired Cocolia."Bronya" and "Delta" were our responses...

"Well, I've got some bad news for you two, Bronya and Delta: I've neutralized the squad your people sent to kill me," Cocolia informed us.

"Why take us alive as your prisoners? Why won't you just kill us?" Bronya questioned Cocolia. Honestly, Bronya, I don't want to die, and I hope you treasure your life too.

"This might surprise the two of you. I do not kill kids," Cocolia replied.

"Are you going to become our master now? Are we your new slaves?" Bronya asked Cocolia again.

"Slave? What nonsense is that? I'll need to meet the people who trained you two and told you to kill me and assassinate me. They need to be taught a lesson," Cocolia claimed. "You two are no longer slaves, Bronya, Delta. From now on, I'll be your Matushka," she added with a gentle smile. Matushka? I'm not really familiar with those words; I wonder what they mean.

"Matushka... What does that mean?" Bronya questioned. Good job! Bronya, I'm also curious about what that means.

"It's someone who cares and loves the children," Cocolia explained. "Her name is Seele," Cocolia added, showing Seele to us. I see, so Seele is her name.

"By the way, Delta, were you an Olenyeva before you became an assassin for the Serbian army?" Cocolia asked. To tell the truth, I don't know, but one thing is for sure, I appeared in this "World" before I lost my memories; that's the only thing I know.

"To tell you the truth, I don't really know who I was before I was taken by the Serbian army," I replied.

"I see... I've left food on the table for you two. Seele will show you to your room. Have no fear, Bronya, and Delta. You two no longer go to the battlefields," Cocolia reassured us as she left the room.

After eating our food, Seele began to show us our room. "Thi-this is going to be your room, um..." Seele was stuttering. Is she shy in front of strangers? "Bronya is her name," I said. "Ah, yes, Bro-bronya, this will be your room," Seele said as she opened the door.

"Wait, Big Sister and Bronya are not in the same room?" Bronya asked.

"I..." Seele was about to say something, but I cut her off before she could finish. "Bronya, you should take advantage of this opportunity to get to know the others because we'll be living with them as we grow up, and you don't have to worry about me because we can still meet every day," I told her.

"But-!" I didn't give Bronya enough time to finish her sentence. I tried to convince her using the same tricks I always use on her. "Hmm? Bronya, won't you listen to her big sister?" I asked, smiling as I stared at her.

"Negative! Of course not; Bronya should listen to what you have to say and get to know others," Bronya replied, slightly trembling.

"Good," I said as I patted her on the head.

I slowly opened the creaky door, peeking into the room where I was assigned to stay. To my surprise, the room was already occupied by two lively young girls who looked extremely similar. The only noticeable features was their hair—one sporting a vibrant shade of pink, and the other with a faint blend of green and blue. They stared at me, their eyes wide with surprise, and for a moment, we formed an odd trio of shocked faces.

"Ahhhh!!! It's my future self! Look, Lili!" the pink-haired swirling full of energy yelled, almost breaking my eardrum. I was thinking and wondering if I had just signed up for a semester of eardrum workouts. Would I survive this loud roommate?

"Roza, you're too loud," deadpanned Lili, her expression didn't change.

"I'm afraid to destroy your delusionality, but I am not your future self," I calmly responded, attempting to bring some order to the chaos. "By the way, I am Delta; what's your name?""Ahhh! She might be our long-lost twin sister! Lili!" Rozaliya shouted again as if volume control wasn't in her vocabulary. Ignoring my attempts at communication, she seemed to be on an assignment to convince her sister of our imaginary sisterhood. Maybe I should play along and become their long-lost sibling to discipline these kids. It's my specialty after all.

"You're not listening, Roza," Liliya scolded, turning her attention back to me. "I am Liliya Olenyeva, and this loud girl is my twin sister, Rozaliya Olenyeva."

"Hey! Sis Delta! Are you our long-lost twin sister!?" Rozaliya questioned, dangerously loud. Was she auditioning for a role in a rock band or something?

"No, I'm not your long-lost twin sister, Rozaliya; I am your long-lost big sister," I replied with a faint embarrassment on my face. Rozaliya's eyes sparkled with excitement, and, surprisingly, Liliya's did too. Perhaps they were simply normal children, untainted by the harsh realities of the battlefield we grew up in.

"Ahhh! I'm right! You're our long-lost sister!" Rozaliya declared proudly, her voice echoing through the room like a lively parade.

Note to self: invest in earplugs. The twins closed in on me, releasing an aura that was so adorable it could rival a basket of kittens. Unable to resist, I found myself patting them absentmindedly. These two were adorable like a puppy!

My heart melted faster than ice cream on a hot summer day. Unbeknownst to me, my tail must have caught wind of the cuteness overload because it started doing its happy dance.

Spotting the tail, Rozaliya, full of curiosity, pulled it with an eagerness that rivaled a kid discovering a new toy. "Khhhhg!" I made the weirdest sound, quickly slapping a hand over my mouth. Smooth, Delta, real smooth.

"Lili! Sis Delta has a tail!" Rozaliya announced like an announcer in the event.

Mustering my most intimidating glare, I muttered, "You little rascals need some discipline." I held both twins captive, making sure they couldn't escape my approaching sisterly justice. They trembled in terror. My tail slowly reaches the door shut. Click. Locked and loaded.

"Kyaaaaaaaa, Sis Delta is a demon!" Rozaliya's cry in terror echoed through the room.