Screaming Dead

Screaming Dead

-Alisha-

I walk around Bristol as I please. They can't see or hear me. I easily hide among the crowds. I might have seen you around. But you haven't seen me. I am free to do what I want. That may all sound like a dream, but it really isn't. I tend to get bored and lonely at times. There isn't really anybody to talk to. They can't see me. I miss my friends. I watch them sometimes, but I can't interact with them. That may sound creepy, but what can I do? I don't have anything to do. Okay, there are those Night Hawks. But they only come to me like I'm an informant. (I do hear things on the other side.) I just want my life back. I miss talking to normal people. The mark on my lower back burns my skin. It's mocking me, you know?

Lately, I noticed that there is a bigger problem.

I'm starting to see more of the dead around. They won't look at me. I ran into a lady the other day. She stood on the Redcliffe, looking down. At first, I paid her no mind. I had gotten used to such a site. I thought that she was going to jump off again.

That's not what happened.

Instead, she threw back her head and unhinged her jaw. She started screaming silently. I stared at her, squinting. What the hell is this? I didn't know how to act at first. That lady had never done that before. Should I do something?

I ended up backing away from her.

She wasn't the only one I saw.

They're all gathered in the streets. It's worse at night. They just stand there staring up at the sky with their mouths hanging open. It's starting to creep me out. What are they doing? That became an indication that something isn't right. I've tried to find out what it is. I'm not getting any information so far.

This morning, there were more of them. They stood out among the crowds of people. They looked up at the sky, swaying as they stood. I was tempted to reach out and shake one of them. My hand went through one of them. Should've guessed. I frowned and pouted to myself. Of course, I can't contact any of the Night Hawks people. I still couldn't pick physical objects. Looked like I was going to wait for them to come to me.

I looked around at the ghosts standing together in the park. They had their mouths open as before. Okay, it's starting to creep me out. I took off running towards the pub. It was good to see people again. No ghosts looking up at the sky here. (For now at least.) I turned and looked out the frosted door. I could see another one standing outside. I didn't dare to see who it was this time.

"Alisha?" I heard in the bar. I turned to see a woman with blonde hair flagging me down. I think I've seen her before. She's just what I wanted. I quickly ran over to the bar. I could walk through the people with no problem. (It's still kind of creepy to walk through people though.) I sat down next to her.

"Hey there," she said.

"I am so glad you are here," I said. The blonde woman narrowed her eyes.

"You see them too?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Are there many of them?" the woman asked.

"Yes," I said, nodding. "What's the deal? Why are they doing this?" Blondie took a drink of her lager. (I really need to ask her her name.)

"We have some theories," she said. "What do you think it is?"

"I don't know," I said.

"I think they are waiting for something," she said. I narrowed my eyes.

"Waiting for what?" I asked.

"That we don't know yet," the woman said. Figures. They wouldn't always know everything. They were trying at least.

"Hey," I said.

"Hm?" Blondie asked.

"What is your name again?" I asked. "I keep meaning to ask you, but I forget for some reason." She set down her bottle.

"Ally," she said. "My name is Ally."

"Oh," I said. I looked down at my hands.

"You can stay with me for a while if you want," Ally said. I didn't know what to say.

"Thanks," I said at last. I looked around the bar. There were still many people around. Still, it wouldn't be long before they would make their way in here. I shuddered as that thought crossed my mind. I looked down as I saw Ally's hand inching towards mine. When I looked up, I saw her smiling at me. I don't know what it is about her, but Ally has a strange way of calming people down. Maybe in another life, we could be friends or something.

Still, there is one thing that still nags at me.

The thing is it's not the fact that they are looking up at the sky screaming that worries me. It's the fact they aren't making a sound that has me worried the most.