8 - Detective Boys

Start from the beginning

"I think I need to use the bathroom, excuse me," Atsushi rasped out.

"So, Akutagawa trained you, huh?" You sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" She asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"He gets angered much faster nowadays, which my friend is partially at fault for," you explained, pinching the bridge of your nose.

"Are you.... L/N Y/N-San?" She asked.

"That's me," you chuckled, ruffling her hair. "I'll leave you in Atsushi's care, alright?"

"I'm back!" Atsushi announced.

"Kid, take her around the city, let her have some fun," you requested.

"Kunikida-San slipped a note that told me to turn her in though," Atsushi questioned.

"She'll be killed as a traitor if she goes back, and she's a fugitive on the run now," you reminded. "Since she defected, she'll likely turn herself in and get the death penalty. Just let her have one last bit of fun, alright? Surely you of all people must know what it's like to live a short and unhappy life?"

"Understood," Atsushi nodded.

"Good," you smiled. "I'll return to the agency then. Bye!"

With that, you left the restaurant and returned to the agency.

"Is he taking her?" Kunikida asked as soon as you walked in.

"He said he will," you nodded, sauntering over to your desk. "Say, Kunikida-kun, Atsushi-kun was a wanted fugitive as well. Couldn't we somehow clear her charges and get her to join us?"

"Don't be naive, L/N," Kunikida glared. "The agency is no place for ex-mafiosi."

Ranpo sent you a sympathetic glance, having known your history as well as Dazai's. There was a pool of money going for that at some point, with 700,000 Yen if one guessed Dazai's career, and 1400,000 Yen if one guessed yours. Atsushi would've tried guessing Dazai's, no doubt, meaning his pot definitely increased. For some reason, Ranpo never 'guessed' it out loud, claiming it would be unfair to do so with his Ultra Deduction ability.

"Besides, we're all on a one-man ship," Kunikida reminded. "In this unfair world, we cannot be fair and save everyone. We need to unfairly pick and choose who we help, to make sure we don't sink ourselves."

"Tanizaki-San's back!" Kenji announced.

Tanizaki sent a weak smile before debriefing everyone on the things he saw during the stakeout, before delivering one final blow.

"Atsushi has been taken?" Kunikida gaped. 

"Yes," Tanizaki nodded.

"Now, of all times?" Kunikida groaned. "The ministry bodyguard we took on has already turned the whole agency upside-down. We have no one free to search for him."

"Hang on, do you know where he is, Tanizaki-kun?" You asked.

"According to witnesses, he was attacked in broad daylight and thrown into a nearby truck," Tanizaki read off. "I don't know where it went after that..."

"This is no good," Kunikida muttered, rubbing his temples. "Their smuggling routes are countless. They could take him anywhere without being spotted."

"Well, we've gotta help him, or else..." Tanizaki trailed off.

"Help him? Why?" Ranpo scoffed. "He was kidnapped for personal reasons, no? His little tiger trick and the bounty on his head. We aren't his personal security detail, are we? And we didn't bring him in to protect him."