CHAPTER 14: INDOMITABLE

Start from the beginning

<3~ <3~ <3~ <3~ 

The four mice watched the massive creature, and contemplated their situation. Aaron was thinking of the best way to strike while it was unwary, potentially somewhere that it was vulnerable, in order to give themselves an early advantage. Mathias was examining the surroundings, considering setting up some manner of trap or restraint using the abundance of resources lying all around. Rowan thought that they should perhaps hide and observe it for a little while, both to obtain much needed knowledge on the habits of behaviors of the dark lords, as well as to potentially discover some manner of weakness. 

None of this ended up happening, of course. Instead Jerin simply strode up in front of its face and called out, "Hey, wake up!" 

The dark lord snorted, awakening mid breath and looked about with a confused expression. "Huh? What do you want?" 

Jerin blinked, her earlier anger evaporated. "Uh, you told us to come here?" She said, as the creature tilted its head to one side, the great beast still wearing an a look of confusion. "You attacked our city earlier?" 

It fully awakens, eyes wide open. "Oh, right, ahem..." it said, clearing its throat, looking more than a little bit embarrassed. "I wasn't expecting you." 

"You mean 'so soon', right?" She said. 

"At all. I thought you and the rest of the vermin would have run off and hidden somewhere by now." it stretched its forelimbs out in front of itself, arching its back with a big, wide-mouthed yawn. 

"You wish! You attacked our home, and now you're going to pay!" 

"Uh huh. Fine, fair enough." it said in a bored voice, sitting up to look down at the four mice. "Okay, let's do this." 

"Wait!" Jerin said. "Your name is 'Fury', right? First I want to know why you did it." 

"Yeah, that's my name." 

Mathias looked to the imposingly large yet still sleepy looking creature. "Huh, you don't look very furious." 

"I have my moments." the large feline replied with a shrug, "But yeah, you're right. That's how it is with names, I guess. Sometimes you grow into them, sometimes you grow out." 

"Um, can we focus here?" Jerin asked, arms folded, tapping a foot impatiently. "Why did you attack the city?"  

The creature narrowed its silver eyes and sighed. "Do I really need a reason to destroy lesser creatures?" 

"You're damn right you do!" Jerin growled up at him, "Unless you honestly expect us to believe that it's just a complete coincidence that we ran into two unrelated dark lords, right after we started looking for a third?" 

Fury drew its great head back and looked down at her with a surprised expression. "Heh, you're sharper than I thought. Yeah, it's true. You didn't just happen to run into Seraphim, and I have no real interest in avenging her defeat. To be honest, I thought it was hilarious." 

"Then why did you do it? What do you have to gain from it?" Jerin drew her sword, pointing it up at the face of the dark lord. 

It scratched a paw under its chin, "Well, you know... he sometimes shares his food with me, so I kind of owed him a favor." 

"Him? You're talking about Midnight, aren't you?" she glared. 

"Huh, it feels like I wasn't supposed to reveal that little bit of information. Oh well. I Guess it doesn't really matter." it shook its massive shoulders, bits of metal, dust and other debris falling away from the matted fur. "Yeah, it's true. Apparently he has some grand scheme involving you, and we kind of got roped into it. Frankly, bullying the weak isn't really my style."