Chapter Five

"CELINE"

I cried out. She began to loose her balance and nearly fell heavily on the floor until I caught her halfway and placed her body gently on my lap. Her eyes showed fear as she started blankly above her. I pushed my hand on the open wound of her stomach, silently praying that this was all a dream. That this was all in my head. But the nightmare become more real when Celine chocked on her own blood that was building up in her throat. A small puddle of blood gathered around her body and seeped through my fingers, staining my nightgown as she struggled for every breath.

"HELP" I screamed, again and again. But no one came.

A flood of tears ran down my face. Each tear lading on Celine's now lifeless body as the light in her eyes faded. All that was left was a shell of her former self.

"Celine?" I whispered, gently shaking her body. But she didn't move.

Distant screams of men mixed with clashing metal began to echo through the castle halls.

We was under attack.

I was too terrified to move. The fear of leaving Celine alone become more prominent as time went by. She didn't deserve this. She was innocent. But bad things always happen to good people.

Celine's cold body still lay within my arms. The dark, crimson blood brought out her pale skin as it gathered around her more.

However, my attention was taken by the sudden sound of harsh and heavy footsteps becoming louder the closer it got. Only one thought was brought to mind. Who ever killed Celine, was now coming for me and all I could do was wait for my fate.

But relief rushed over me when Leon darts in my bedchamber, out of breath and covered in blood. He looked straight at me, then to Celine. He rush by my side and placed his hand against Celine's stiff neck.

"She is gone brother." I breathed.

He gently placed his hands over Celine's eyes and closed them. She now looked peaceful, almost like she is sleeping.

"Come now sister, she is with god now." Leon whispered while laying a gentle hand on my shoulder before offering his free hand to me.

gathering some courage, I wiped away my tears with my blooded hand and placed Celine's body against the cold floor. Placing both her hands across her chest, I silently prayed that she would be accepted at heavens gates. Then, without a second thought, I accepted Leon's offer and stood.

"Delphine I-"

He reached out to hold my arm but I was fast enough to avoid his touch.

"It is fine Leon." At that moment, I could not bare to have Leon's sympathy.

I coughed, wiping away the excess blood from my hands on my already stained nightdress and stared blankly at the my chamber wall, trying my hardest to not cry as I waited for Leon's orders.

"We must leave." He said while removing his sword from scabbard, then placing his focus on the exposed hall from where my chamber door was.

"We are to meet Lord Uhtred and his men in the main hall."

"What about mother?!" I frowned. "If we are under attack, we need to get to mother first."

"Father is with her now."

"But that's-"

"DELPHINE!" Leon shouted.

I was stunned. So stunned that I forgot how to breathe for a short second.

Leon rarely raised his voiced. But when he did, it was never this aggressive nor this loud. The sudden memories of father screaming at me sent shivers down my spine.