Chapter 5: So it's true, he wasn't dead

Start from the beginning

Elena and I eat while talking with Jenna, whereas Jeremy took his dinner up to his room. We all finish our food and bus our dishes before Elena and I head up to her room to watch a movie. We pick Footloose and eat the popcorn we made.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

When the movie is finished, we go downstairs to get more snacks before another movie but stop as we see Jenna rummaging through the hall closet, putting things in boxes.

"Hey, what are you doing," I ask Jenna.

She turns to us and smiles, abruptly placing a heavy box in Elena's hands. "Oh! Perfect timing."

"Woah," Elena says at the weight of the box. "What is this stuff?"

"Your mom's files from the Historical Society. I got roped into helping Mrs. Lockwood." She pauses and stands up. "And by roped, I mean very excited to participate," she says, closing the closet door revealing Elijah.

Elena gasps and I simply roll my eyes, like usual, while leaning against the door frame into the living room.

"Hey. I'm Elijah."

Jenna takes the box from Elena. "Elijah's in town doing research on Mystic Falls." She then walks into the kitchen.

"It's a pleasure," Elijah says, looking between us both. He holds out his hand for Elena to shake and she hesitates, but eventually does. When Elijah holds out his hand for me to shake, I simply give him a high-five. He looks at me with amusement and confusion.

Jenna walks back in and offers different ways for him to take or learn the information in the boxes. He tells her he'll pick the boxes up in the morning.

"Well thank you so much for inviting me into your home, Jenna," he says. I can tell he's trying to get Elena to be even more scared of him and, unluckily, it's working. He starts to walk towards the door but turns back around. "And Aspen, Elena, I hope to see you again sometime soon."

I give Elena a look and follow her as she rushes upstairs to Jeremy's room, knocking frantically on the door. I lean against the banister and just watch because I don't know what she's doing or why.

Elijah appears beside Elena, she gasps, and he holds a finger up to his mouth in a shushing manner.

Jer's opens his door. "What is it?"

"Um.." Elena says thinking of an excuse.

"Jenna was just asking us to get you to help her with the boxes," I say.

"Yeah." He nods and walks downstairs, not noticing Elijah.

Elena look at me, saying a silent thank you with her expression. We both turn back towards Elijah. "That's a wise choice," he says.

"What do you want," Elena asks, breathing heavily.

"I think it's time you and I have a little chat."

"Sorry to make this awkward and take away from you trying to make her feel scared," I say to Elijah, "but should I leave or go sit in the living room and not-so-secretly listen in or stay?" I look between the two of them as they both look at me. I'm assuming that they're confused about how nonchalant I'm acting.

"Please stay," Elena asks me. I nod and lead them into her room.

Elijah sits on the window seat, I'm spread out on the bed, and Elena is pacing.

"Oh, forgive the intrusion," Elijah says which makes me scoff. He side-eyes me with confusion. "I mean your family no harm."

"Why did you kill those vampires when they tried to take me," Elena asks.

"Because I didn't want you to be taken," he responds. "Klaus is the most hated and feared of the Originals, but those that fear him are desperate for his approval. If word gets out that the doppelgänger exists, there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him, and I can't have that."

"Isn't that exactly what you're trying to do," she asks.

I sigh, bored with how slow the conversation is moving. "Correct me if I'm wrong," I say to Elijah before turning back to Elena, "but I don't think Elijah wants to break the curse."

"Correct," Elijah says.

Elena furrows her eyebrows, "So what is your goal?"

"Klaus' obsessions have made him paranoid," he starts. "He's a recluse. He trusts only those in his immediate circle."

"Like you?" What is with all of these questions?

"No," I scoff. "He wouldn't be here alone if that were the case. He doesn't know where he is, so he's trying use you to get him here for whatever reason."

"How did you know that," he asks.

"I don't know," I shrug.

"Well anyways, to draw him out, I need you to stay put and stop trying to get yourself killed," he tells Elena.

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"Well, Elena, if I wasn't being truthful all your family would be dead and I'd be taking you to Klaus right now. Instead, I'm here, and I'm prepared to offer you a deal. Do nothing. Do nothing, live your life, stop fighting. And then, when the time is right, you and I shall draw Klaus out together, and I shall make certain that your friends remain unharmed."

"Then what," I ask.

"Then I kill him."

"Cool," I say in contempt.

"I'm a man of my word, Elena. I make a deal, I keep a deal."

"How are you going to be able to keep everyone safe," she asks.

I take this moment to really admire how good this man looks in a suit. Like damn. All I hear is some talk about witches, protecting her family, and the Stefan tomb thing, but I'm to busy shamelessly checking him out to fully listen.

"Pen," Elena snaps in front of my face, successfully taking me out of my trance.

"Huh?" I look at Elijah and see a small, almost nonexistent smirk on his face. I don't care that he caught me, surely he knows how attractive he is.

"Do we have a deal," he asks us both.

We both shake hands with him and he vamps out.

"Bye, I guess." I flop back onto the bed.