Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Haymitch's POV

It has been two months since the announcement of the rescue mission. I know nothing about it. They refuse to tell me any details, even if I ask. I don't know if they have gone or if they are still trying to find the right time to do it. All I know is that I have just been called by Coin, she wants me to meet her in ten minutes in.

So, I start to walk to where she is, Command and people are rushing everywhere. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on. I peer through the door and see Coin and I walk in not bothering to knock. She immediately looks up and starts to walk over to me.

"Ah Mr Abernathy, we have news about the rescue mission." She calmly states.

"What do you mean, what rescue mission?" I ask in the kindest manner that I can, confusion filling my sober mind. "We initiated the rescue mission last night, to go out and retrieve the Victors. They have been rescued and are being transported to the hospital right now. You are to find Mr Mellark and Mr Odair and inform them that you three are needed in the hospital."

Ecstatic. Is all I feel, because they are back, finally!

"Thank you Alma." I turn around open the door and run out. I can't wait to see the looks on Finnick's and Peeta's faces.

Peeta's POV

I'm sitting in my room with Finnick, tying knots. He gave me a piece of rope and has taught me a thing or two on how to do some simple nooses and knots. He taught me so I could keep my mind of Katniss, and surely it was worked, a bit anyway. My hands are sore and bleeding slightly, but it doesn't bother me.

I've managed to make a perfect noose when Haymitch comes charging in.

"They're back! They sent a rescue mission out to get them and they are now back!" He exclaims, out of breath.

Katniss is here in 13 with me. Oh man I missed her so much. I start to want to ask more questions but Haymitch cuts me off. "That's all I know. Were all wanted at the hospital." I run down the hall, making my way to the elevator. I get in and push the button to the hospital floor. I would wait for Finnick and Haymitch but I can't see them. I start to drop down a couple of levels. It takes an eternity to get down to the hospital level, but I get there eventually.

When I step out I only see people with white coats rushing around from one side to the other. I'm in a panic. I'm going to come face to face with the woman I love in just a matter of minutes. The feelings become real.

I look around the hospital and spot a young woman with a shaved head. She is sitting on the bed yelling at anyone she can see. It couldn't be anyone else besides the magnificent and ruthless killer- Johanna Mason.

She looks horrible. Her face is covered in bruises and scrapes. Her arms are covered in scars and oozing flesh. She catches glimpse of me.

"Oh look who decided to turn up?" She still has her sarcastic tone as well as her sarcastic comments, but seriously, why would that change. She would no longer be the name she lives up to be. I look behind me to find Haymitch and Finnick running into the hospital.

"Finnick!" A high pitched scream comes from a red haired woman with seaweed green eyes. Finnick's eyes light up instantly when he hears the voice and then catches sight of the woman.

"Annie!" He runs for Annie and they collide with a massive thump.

Finnick starts brushing her hair back and Annie runs her fingers through this hair. They begins to whisper things to each other and nodding and then they begin to kiss. They eventually walk back far enough that Annie slams into a wall. She still continues on kissing him.

I feel instantly miserable. When will I see Katniss? I need to see her, hold her, kiss her- now! I pull aside the closest person to me in a white coat.

"Where's Katniss? Where is she?" I ask, forcefully. "Sorry sir, that's classified information." The woman states, I get angry at this comment. "Look I need to see her! I am her boyfriend! Have you heard of me? Peeta Mellark? Victor from the 74th Hunger Games?" I ask impatiently.

"Mr Mellark, my apologies, she is in the room at the end of the corridor." She seems generally apologetic.

"Thank you doctor." I start to run down the corridor. As I run, I see Gale. He is giving me the biggest sly stare in the world. "Mellark, stay away from her." He warns me. Why would I? He should.

"Hawthorne, leave my girlfriend alone." I don't wait for an answer. I run through a doorway and look into the door. There is a glass panel in it and I can see her.

She's sleeping on a bed on the right side of the room. I walk in through the door and see her clearly. She is perfect, absolutely perfect. She has bruises on her face as well as scars, but she still looks beautiful to me.

She looks the opposite also, instead of thin and bony as I thought she would be, she has gained weight. But I don't think of that as something bad, I just look to see my beautiful Katniss here in 13, with me.

I look at the doctor and he looks back to me, realising who I am and my now known presence.

"Ah Mr Mellark, Miss Everdeen will be waking up soon. The drugs are slowly be wearing off. You can pull up a chair and sit with her if you want." Exactly what I wanted, to be with Katniss when she woke up, to be the first person she sees.

"Thank you doctor." He collects some paperwork and walks towards the door. "I'll be in my office. The first door on the left if you need anything." He states. "Thank you." I respond. He walks out and the door swings shut.

I can see her. Touch her. Soon kiss her. I pull up a chair next to her bed and I sit down. Her hand lays on the bed. Still and perfect. I grab her hand and place it in mine. I kiss it and place my other hand over hers. I still look at her staring at her beautiful dark wavy hair. She starts to breathe heavier indicating that she is waking up.