"No, she is, really," Russell insisted. "It's only natural - her mum's an artist. Like, a legit one. Sells her art and everything."

"It's nothing," Jax insisted, going back to unpinning pictures from the walls.

"So Mr Armstrong lets us hang out in here most days," Russell went on, unperturbed. "I don't know what he's gonna do next year when you're not here, Jax. His grade averages are going to plummet without you dragging them up. Plus he won't have someone who can do all the work he's meant to be doing when he sneaks off for a fag at lunchtime."

"I don't mind helping," Jax said, laying another picture down on a desk. "Anyway, he's only asked me to help today so the Year 11s can take their pictures home. Most of us only have one exam left next week. He's worried they'll forget to take them if he doesn't give them out today."

Elle couldn't help but notice that David was watching with rapt attention as Jax went industriously back and forth, ferrying the artworks from the wall to the neat piles on the desks. She realised with some surprise that he probably fancied her. The shock faded almost immediately. Of course he fancied Jax. Practically every boy in the school did.

She wondered to herself whether or not she was disappointed. Funnily enough she didn't think she was. Did she actually fancy this boy? Or was she just fascinated by him?

Either way she hadn't been entertaining any ideas that anything would actually happen between them. Boys never looked twice at Elle - not when someone like Jax was around. But seeing the look of quiet interest on his face as he watched her had made her feel just a bit downhearted.

David transferred his attention from Jax to his half-eaten sandwich. He carefully tore it in half, his face taking on a thoughtful look.

"So," he said, "do you guys really call yourselves the Orphans Club?"

A little snort of laughter came from Maggie. Even Jax, who would never knowingly make fun of someone, was smiling to herself.

"It's a joke," Elle said hurriedly. She didn't know why she felt the need to explain herself so much, but she definitely did. "It's just a name Russell came up with for us a few years ago. We've never, like, actually used it."

"That's not true," Russell put in. He had a devilish grin on his face - the same look he had whenever he was being especially sarcastic. "I've been trying to get it trending for years."

David, looking both confused and nervous, said:

"But... are you -?"

"What - orphans?" Russell gave a laugh. "Not quite, but as good as. None of us have both sets of parents. My mum and dad split up when I was three - I don't even remember what he looks like. Sellan's dad moved here with him and his sister a few years ago - she's at uni now, so it's just the two of them. Maggie just lives with her dad. Jax has got a dad, but he's an international lorry driver - he's away for weeks at a time so she hardly ever sees him. And Elle -"

"Yes, thank you, Russell." Elle's tone was harsher than she expected it to be, and she was moderately embarrassed at such an outburst. She calmed herself with an effort. "I don't think David needs our entire life stories within the first five minutes of meeting us."

A strained silence fell over them. David continued to pull his sandwich to pieces, occasionally tossing a piece into his mouth. The only noise in the room was the sound of Jax quietly moving back and forth with the pictures.

At last it was Jax, inevitably, who broke the silence. She always knew what to say to put everyone back at their ease.

"So David," she said brightly, "have you just moved to Farway?"

David looked up at her like a puppy that had just been called.

"Yeah," he said. "I was saying to Elle earlier that my dad gets moved round a lot for his job. My parents thought it would be good for me to join school for the last week so I can get to know some people. That way I won't be starting college without having met anyone. And, hopefully, I won't be spending summer mooching about all by myself."

He realised, perhaps a second too late, that what he'd said sounded like he was desperately fishing for invites to hang out over the summer. He obviously hadn't meant it that way, and he quickly shot his eyes back down to his sandwich.

The truth was the mention of summer had opened up a whole world of possibilities in Elle's mind. Having someone new to hang out with was enough to make the endless weeks of a dreary summer in Farway sound bearable. She loved spending time with her friends, obviously, but it was actually finding things to do that often presented difficulties. David would definitely make a fun distraction for them all.

Jesus, what was she thinking of? He was a person, not some new toy or pet for them to play with! Besides, after this lunchtime she'd be lucky if he ever wanted to speak to her again.

"Have you seen much of Farway yet?" Jax asked suddenly.

"Hardly anything," David replied. "We only moved on Wednesday and we spent most of yesterday unpacking. I haven't even been into town yet."

"Well I'd lower your expectations significantly," said Russell, "but if you do want to see Farway you should come shopping with us tomorrow afternoon."

Another bright smile suddenly lit up David's face.

"Really? That would be great."

"You don't have to," Elle put in quickly. "I mean, if you're busy or anything."

David said, "Elle, I am literally the opposite of busy."

Elle shrugged as if the whole thing was no big deal - as if the fact that David's lunch with her friends was now being followed up with a second time hanging out meant nothing to her at all.

She tried to sound casual as she said:

"Great. That's settled then."

Elle looked at Russell, who was giving her an arch sideward grin. He always looked particularly satisfied whenever he managed to make things go his own way.