The Weekend (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

As soon as Ryan walked out the front door for the weekend with her duffel bag of clothes, I sat down at the kitchen island and opened my unfortunately short message thread with Y/N. I wanted to see her again, and not just because I was about to be here alone from Saturday to Wednesday, that was normal.

'I'm craving pad thai again,' I typed. I faltered when it came to hitting send but did it anyway, I didn't have anything to lose.

The gray bubbles popped up, indicating she was typing for a second, but then they disappeared. I sighed and hit the power button. There was no sense staring at a screen waiting for a reply I wouldn't receive. I twisted my rings around my fingers mindlessly before I landed on my promise ring.

I frowned and tugged it off of my finger. I sat it on the island and stared at it. This was the first time I had ever taken it off, it had been over a year and a half, and there was a tan line on my finger to account for it.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. I looked down and saw it was Y/N. I quickly opened it to see it was a picture of her sitting in the Thai restaurant with a glass of water in front of her.

'I just sat down. You can join me if you want.' The text under it read.

I quickly went to put on my shoes and was out the door. I got there remarkably fast, and sure enough, upon my entry, there she was at the same table we sat at last time. She looked adorable as she stared down at the placemat in front of her that had the Thai zodiac animals on it.

Once I approached the table, she felt my presence and looked up. She gave me a small smile and a wave.

"Hi, Y/N."

"Hi, I already ordered for you and I got some oolong tea, they're brewing it right now."

I thanked her and we ended up sitting in silence for a couple minutes. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, but I could tell that our silence was speaking loudly for the both of us.

"I'm sorry," I blurted out, "You know, for the other night. And thank you for meeting up with me again. You didn't have to do this."

Y/N waved me off and shook her head. "It's really no problem. We're connected now through our less than ideal experience."

Your POV

The waitress arrived with the tea pot and teacups. A waiter was standing right behind her with our food. I was glad that Solána made me come here with her the first time, it had become one of my new favorite places. They sat the food and drinks down and walked off.

"We're connected," Solána repeats once we're alone again.

I nod as I test the sweetness of the tea before deciding to add more sugar. As I begin to stir the added sugar in I say, "We have a relationship now. I'm not sure what kind since this is a complicated situation but you can't get rid of me."

"I obviously don't want to since I keep reaching out." She began eating her pad thai.

We had a nice conversation and ended up ordering celebratory drinks. There was no real special occasion other than our newly outspoken connection. After I paid for the meal, with her trying to argue about it yet again, I offered to give her a ride back.

"Actually, do you want to come back to my place? It's kind of weird meeting at Ryan's all the time," I told her as I pulled my car out of the parking lot.

She quickly nodded with a smile and we made our way back to my apartment. I fumbled outside my apartment door with the keys. "Okay, before we go in, not too much on me, I've been working a lot recently so I haven't exactly been organized."