Caught

Part 10

Ash’s POV

Stef hadn’t shown up last night something went wrong. “If I’m not there by half past, go home, something’s come up and I can’t go but hopefully I should be there, I haven’t done anything that would stop me.” What did he mean something’s come up? He hasn’t done anything? To who? Something’s really not right here. I walked to school with headphones in, hands in pockets and dragging my feet. Today I had music, with Stef. So he can tell me what happened last night well... if he is in today that is. I lifted my head and looked around, there he was, I took out my headphones, shoved them into my pocket and ran up to him, “Stef! Stef! Wait up!” He turned around and was a little taken back when I just threw myself on him. “Ouch! Ashley get off!” I quickly took a step back and looked at him worriedly, “Sorry about that, I missed you, you didn’t come last night and I waited and I didn’t know what to do!” “Ash calm down, it’s not your fault at all it’s mine of course. I got held up. Sorry...” “Held up by what?” “Family stuff...” “Oh okay... Stef what happened to your face? They look like scratch marks.” I gently put my hand up to his face and looked at the damage before looking into his eyes with my hand still on his cheek, “s-Stef who did this to you?” I could feel tears in my eyes I wanted him to tell me so bad but I couldn’t make him do anything he’s not comfortable with.  He dropped his head as tears dropped onto the ground. No words were said, I just pulled him into my chest and wrapped my arms around him. I kissed his head, “Stef, I know there’s something going on and you don’t have to tell me but I would rather if you did. I’m worried about you, I really am and as I said I want to help you.” “t-Thank you” “So what happened yesterday?” “I don’t really want to say but I was late home and got into trouble...” “How late?” “Ehm I don’t know...” “Okay. Stef” “Yeah?” “Have you got any money on you?” “n-No? Why?” “Okay I think I have enough for us two but we’re skipping first class and we’re going into town.” “Okay.”

We got the bus into town and arrived at a cafe. We shared a large fry up. I let Stef have most of it because he looked like he had never eaten before, he was scrapping the plate clean, “Woah you were hungry” I smiled, he nodded in embarrassment, I ruffled his afro, “So Stef tell me. Interested in anyone at the moment?” He near choked on his water. He wiped his mouth, “w-What?” I grinned, “You heard, who are you interested in?” “No one really..” “Stef... a-are you blushing!” I said in playful sarcastic tone, “No!” He giggled, “Tell me!” “No! I’m not interested in anyone what so ever!” I felt my heart sink. Anyone at all? No. I did though, him, I was interested in him. I didn’t fully know right now but there was something there. “Ash?” “Yeah?” “You okay? You’ve gone quiet...”  “Yeah... I’m fine.” He gave me a weak smile before checking the time, “Ash can we go back now?” “Yeah sure, everything okay?” “Yeah!”

We got off the bus and began walking back to the school. We were giggling and laughing on the way, Stef was so amazing and funny and adorable! Just then he began running, I ran after him laughing. We ran as far as we could laughing at nothing. We stopped to catch our breath, Stef then hugged me again, “Easy mate!” “Thank you!” “It’s okay, man do you like hugs!” He nuzzled deeper into my chest and I rested my head on his, his afro tickling my neck. The hugged lasted a few minutes before we broke apart. I looked at Stef who was stood in front of me, he was looking into my eyes until his gaze met with something or indeed someone behind me. “Stef?” I turned around slowly to see what he was looking at, there was nothing there. “Stef what are you..” I turned around and Stef was gone, he was running away. “STEF!” I ran after him, he ran into the park.

“Stef!” He was sitting on the bench with his knees to his chest. I went over and sat beside him, “Stef what happened? What did you see?” He began rocking slightly with tears and fear in his eyes, “Ashley I am so so s-sorry” “What?” “I’m so sorry. I need you to go home.” “What? Stef tell me what did you see?”  “Who I saw.” “Who was it?” “Elliot.”