afterparty

james' pov

After his graduation, James Potter threw an after party. He was the best host Hogwarts had ever seen, he was sure of it.

He had hoped that his children would have a wonderful time at their graduation too, and after.

It could be the last time they see their friends' faces, so James wanted it to be memorable for them. To be full of happy memories, something they'll cherish, just like his little girl had said, standing in that podium as Hogwarts' favorite student.

He still remembered the day Sirius got that award. He was jealous. Super. But then, Sirius said all of the nicest things in his speech about him, and how much their friendship meant.

James was looking forward to hearing his Rory's speech. Excited for what she had to say.

Only to be disappointed, crushed at the last two sentences.

And my boyfriend. Theodore Nott, who I very much love and adore. He's the reason I wake up with a smile on my face. And the reason it is hard for me to leave this place.

But I know we must move on to a new chapter of our lives. I just hope it has you in it, Theo.

He hoped it didn't.

How could she date someone who she knew James wouldn't like? Worse, she said nothing to him and decided to outwardly announced it in front of the whole school, humiliating and disrespecting him in the process.

James loved Aurora, he really really did. More than anything and anyone else in the world. And it pained him, broke his heart to know that she held him in such low regard.

She should've talked it out at least. Slowly. Give him an understanding, give him a moment to process. But instead, she did it in the blink of an eye, on a stage.

James was crushed that a boy, a boy could ruin his relationship with his one and only daughter this way.

He watched as she stepped down the podium, and instead of coming to her family, hugging them, telling them she loved them, she went to Theodore Nott.

He watched as they hugged. And he could not believe his sweet little Rory bear lied to his face.

He rose from his seat and marched to her. James took his daughter's arm and led her outside. He knew eyes were on him, but he didn't care. He liked to make scenes anyway.

"Dad," she said once they were out of the Great Hall. "I know what you're gonna say, but—"

"You lied to me," he hissed. "You lied to me, and for what, Aurora? I asked you directly if you were seeing him and you said no, what was that all about?"

She placed her hands in her head. "Because I knew you were going to react this way!"

"So announcing it in your speech, in front of the whole school is the way to go?" James shouted. He had never been this angry with either of his children before.

"Dad," Aurora called, her voice breaking. "I love him, is that so bad?"

James went red. "Oh so you love him now?" he barked. "You love him? So you are willing to disrespect me? Rory, I've always been your best friend. I raised you, I've loved you with all my heart and you're willing to throw all of that away for a boy you kissed last month?"

"Why can't you just be happy for me, dad?" she complained. "Why can't you be more understanding like Moony?"

"Moony knew?"

In that moment, his wife and best friends ran to him. Sirus looked at Aurora with disappointment, but said nothing to her.

"James, calm down," Remus advised.

"You fucking knew?" James raged at Remus. "You knew Moony? You were there, everytime I fought with Nott, you were there. And you knew about this?"

"Look," he said. "You need to calm down."

Sirius came to Remus' aid, stepping in front of him. "Don't put this on Moony, Prongs. You can't."

James turned to Aurora again. "Am I that unimportant to you?" he asked lowly.

When she didn't give an answer, he repeated the question. Loudly.

"James," Peter warned. He briefly looked at Aurora with sympathy in his eyes. "You do not need to scream. It's Rory, mate. Your baby Rory." Peter never quite like the idea of yelling to one's children.

James heard rapid footsteps approaching, and when he looked up, there he was. Theodore Nott.

"Oh, here he is, our prince charming," James greeted. He walked closer to him, and said, "I'd like to speak to your father."

Theodore looked down. "My father isn't here, Mr. Potter."

For a second, he did feel bad. But he wasn't surprised.

"He didn't bother to come to your graduation?" said James. "God, he is still the asshat I once knew he was."

Aurora scoffed, her arms crossed. "Are you not being an asshat right now?"

"No, Rory bear, I am protecting you," he said dismally. "This is what dads do."

"Protecting me from what?" she fumed. "Theo is the sweetest, kindest soul ever, I don't need you to protect me from him."

James scorned. "You won't be saying that for long, believe me."

"Mr. Potter, if I may—" Theo attempted to speak, but James shut him down instantly. "No, you may not."

Sirius reached for his wand, and pointed it at Theo, who was now pinned against the wall. "Theodore Nott, I swear on my mother that I will curse you to oblivion if you take another step closer to my niece. I'm not joking around."

Sirius did not care for his mother at all, but he didn't know that.

"Listen to him, kid," Peter pulled out his wand as well, pressed it against Theodore's chin. "He will do it."

Remus shook his head. "This has to be illegal." He and Lily tried to pull them away, but to not avail.

"Rory," James called. He was begging. Begging for his little girl to just listen to him. He was looking out for her. "Please."

James felt like he was about to break down to tears.

"No, dad," she refused, shaking her head. "No."

Aurora reached for her wand and yelled, "Expelliarmus!" Disarming both Sirius and Peter, she took Theo's hand and ran with him.

James yelled and yelled for her to come back. Chased after her.

But he couldn't find her anywhere.