the potters

Aurora was happy.

Theo managed to take her mind off her family today. He took her everywhere she wanted - fancy restaurants - parks - malls. She genuinely could not fathom how she got so lucky. This was one of the best birthdays she'd ever had, and it all happened because of Theo.

One day, she swore she would marry this man.

He made her the happiest. He loved her. He cared. He made sure she was his number one priority. He was ready to risk it all, throw everything away for her. And it was so surreal to think that she had that kind of love with someone. That someone could love her that much.

Now they were gardening. And he still looked beautiful as ever even with dirt on his face.

"Where'd you learn all this stuff?" she asked, admiration in her eyes as she looked at him.

"My mum," he answered, shears in hand, a smile on his face.

"What can't she do?" Aurora chuckled. She took the time to look at him again, then said, "Thank you, Theo."

Placing the shears down and wiping the dirt on his face, he asked, "For what?"

She placed a kiss on his cheek. "For today, for everything."

"Well," Theo grinned. "It's the least I could do."

When she heard foosteps approaching, crunching the dried leaves on the walkway to their cottage, she assumed it was Matilda. Who else could it be?

But when Aurora got up and turned, the smile she had on her face withered away. She saw her father, mother, and brother.

Her dad gave a wave and a smile. "I hope we're not interrupting," he said.

Instinctively, Aurora got Theo behind her and disarmed her father, his wand flying out of his pocket.

James laughed and watched as it fell. He looked at Aurora amusedly. It always annoyed her how smug he looked. She held Theo's hand tightly, ready to apparate if things got ugly.

"Easy, Rory bear," James walked closer. "I'm just here to talk."

"How did you find me?" Aurora asked, now pointing her wand to her own father.

He said nothing and raised his hands above his head.

"Can we just come inside?" Lily requested. "Please, Rory."

Aurora glared at James. "I don't trust him," she said.

"How can you say that?" James asked, and Aurora was sure that her father was so full of himself that he couldn't see the damage he did to other people.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because your friends had their wands up my boyfriend's throat!" She yelled. "Seriously, what do you want?"

"To have a conversation," Lily said. Her voice seemed to always have the ability to relax the tense muscles on Aurora's shoulders. "Like adults."

Theo stepped in front of Aurora, offering a very friendly smile, he said, "Why don't we all head on inside, Mr. and Mrs. Potter?"

"Theo!" Aurora seethed, tugging on his arm. Are you crazy-"

He turned his back towards her. "They're your parents," he said, before turning to her parents again, showing them in. "Please."

Lily gave him the sweetest smile. "Thank you, Theodore," she said, walking past him and into the cottage.

James walked behind her, and as he passed Theo, he pat him on the shoulder. "Thank you, son."

Aurora and Theo looked at each other. James was not hostile, he did not shout, he appreciated Theo, called him son. And that was very unusual.