Chapter 36

April 17th, 2022 

Morgana's POV

We got to our hotel at the super early hours of the morning, and the reservation was under Mal's name, so she went to check in. 

She checked in and went to her room, and I put my hair down in a hat and walked into the hotel, head down. I didn't want anyone to realize it was me, even thought it was the middle of the night and there was only a few people working and no one in the lobby. 

I texted Mal when I was in the elevator to open the door for me when I knocked, and I practically sprinted to the room. 

She let me in, and I went to put down my suitcase. I barely got my shoes off before Mal gave me this LOOK. 

"I waited for this since we left that second hotel." She said, clicking the lock on the door. 

"I can't lie, I wanted it too." I smiled. "I just didn't want to with my whole family around-" 

"Shhhh." She put her finger to my lips. "No more talking. Just shut up and kiss me." 

"Sounds good." 

----------

April 17th, 2022 - 1:00 pm

Mal's POV

Morgana and I decided to go to the beach today. We woke up pretty late, so we got a late start to doing stuff. 

First we found a store so we could get basic beach stuff we didn't have (towels and sunscreen) and bought a soccer ball because we needed to practice for at least 15 minutes each day. It should be way more, but this was our quot on quote break. We rented chairs and finally got to the beach. 

"Are people gonna say stuff about us?" She asked me. 

"Say what?" I asked we walked onto the sand. 

"You know, stupid stuff."

"What kind?" 

"Speculation stuff." 

"Let them think what they want." I said.  "And whatever it is it's probably right." 

"Huh?" 

"People make up stuff all the time.  Twitter people....instagram people..." 

"What do they make up?" 

"Rumors. But who cares. Why do I care what people think of me? As long as it doesn't hurt us or our reputation, I'm fine." I said, putting my chair down. 

"I guess." Morgana did the same, and I took off the clothes I had covering my bathing suit and grabbed the sunscreen. 

"This is meant to be enjoyable. Not stressful. You have a few days before you have to go back to school, and then I have to go back to Chicago. So just live it up while we're here." 

We kicked around the soccer ball for a little bit, just passing and juggling. Some people kind of stared, knowing it was us, but not saying anything. 

Once we were sitting back down, I stared out at the beach. 

"You know, I don't really wanna go back to school after this year. I LOVE Bellmont, just not really the idea of school. I'm just going to play soccer. I'm undecided in my major, I'm not getting anything out of it except soccer." She said. 

"That's tough." I said. "Because I think you can play professionally now. I don't think you need more time. But what do I know?" 

"I don't want my parents to be disappointed." 

"They would never, Morgana. They are so insanely proud of you. Your strength, resilience, drive, passion....they'd be crazy not to be proud of you. Because I sure as hell know I'm proud of you." 

"Thanks Mal." 

"I mean it. I know Chloe's proud of you. And Hayley looks up to you so much. It's all about being just like you." 

"I don't know if she wants to be JUST like me." 

"Why not?" 

"I have flaws. Like everyone. You just don't understand, really. I'm hiding the biggest secret like, ever, from my parents while a bunch of girls on my soccer team know. That's pretty bad." 

"I'm hiding it too. And you know what?" 

"What?" 

"I'm a bad role model. I told my parents I would come see them last night. Well here I am across the country instead. They're probably very upset with me. But it's worth it. It will be very worth it." I said. 

"You're avoiding them, aren't you?" She asked. 

"Was it that obvious?" 

"Yep. You're an open book." 

"Nah, you just have the key to the diary of me." 

"So does everyone." She laughed. 

"It's not free, Morgana." 

"How so? I had it after about an hour of hanging out." 

I moved my chair a bit closer to hers, so any eavesdroppers couldn't hear the next part. 

"You had my heart since high school if you would have taken it. But you had that guy. And you didn't think about me much outside of soccer." 

"Huh?" 

"Oh man. I'm going to regret saying this. Shit. Well, basically, I've had a crush on you since high school. You were perfect. And still are." 

"As I said earlier, I'm far from it. And I will never be perfect. But how did I not know this? Was it a thing? Or what?" 

"No. A very select few people knew. No one outside that circle knew." I sighed. 

"Wow." 

"I went to all of your basketball games just to see you play. I don't care about basketball. Just you. And I went to your 1000 point  ceremony. And I was there when you broke the record for most 3's in a season your senior year." 

"Fan girl behavior." She laughed. 

 "Well I did end up getting what I wanted in the long run, right?" 

"Friends with benefits?" 

"What?" 

"I'm kidding with you." 

"Huh?" 

"Shhh." She said, and looked down at her book. 

"Where'd you get that?" I asked. 

"Store." She said, not looking up. 

I stayed quiet after that. 

I looked over at her occasionally. She was so pretty with her long blonde hair under her white Bellmont hat and I just knew her ocean blue eyes were lit up under her sunglasses. 

"Stop staring." She laughed, not looking up. 

"I wasn't staring." I scoffed, looking out at the ocean. 

"I'm taking a nap." She grabbed a water bottle before laying out her towel. 

"You're lame." I said, staring out into the ocean. 

"Says you." 

"Hey, I have plans for later." 

She looked at me before taking off her hat and sunglasses and laying down. "Can't wait."