Chapter 16

April 10th, 2022 12 am

Morgana's  POV

"Can we grab something to eat?" Ashley asked us for the millionth time. 

"Oh my gosh Ashley! We've been here for about 5 minutes." I said. "Please shut up!" 

"I'm starving!" 

"We haven't even found our gate yet!" 

"Well when we find our gate?" 

"Ashley!" 

"Sorry!" 

"We will find our gate when we find it." 

"I wouldn't have guessed." Mal rolled her eyes at me. 

We walked through the airport with our team and crew for about 5 more minutes before we finally found our gate. 

"Flight leaves at 1:00 now. Make sure you are all back here at 12:45. Go have fun." Vlatko said. "OH! And one more thing. We have the place of our final match. It will be in Denver. Okay go have fun now." 

"Denver?" Mal and I turned to eachother. 

"No way." She said. 

"We're going home!" 

"Yes!" 

We high fived, which was pointless because neither of us made the decision. 

"Can we grab something to eat NOW?" Ashley asked. 

"Yes, Ash. Yes we can." I took a deep breath. "What's even open?" 

"Who knows?" 

"Are you serious?" 

"Sorry." 

"Go bother Kelley." Mal said. 

"Nah, it's okay. I'm kinda hungry. You can stay here though." I said. 

"I'll come." She replied, and we followed Ashley through the airport, looking for a restaurant open in an airport at midnight. 

There were a bunch of little stands and stuff open with snacks, but Ash wouldn't have it. 

"Can we just get food on the plane?" Asked Mallory. 

"We could. Okay. That's fine. Let's get a snack from here and then we can go back." Said Ashley. 

"You couldn't have said that a half a mile ago?" I sighed. 

"Just thought of it." 

"Damn it." 

I watched Ashley pick out some snacks carefully. I grabbed a big bag of chips for Mal and I to share. Ashley got a small bag of chips, a small bag of popcorn, sweedish fish, (when I asked why she just said 'because I want them' so whatever floats her boat and keeps her quiet) and she also got apple juice. 

When we walked back to the gate, Mallory put a movie on her phone and the 3 of us sat on the floor against the chairs with blankets and the phone propped up against my backpack. 

"Ooh." Kelley walked over to us. I thought she wanted to watch, so I told her she could, but she said something else. "Can I have some?" She pointed to Ashley's Sweedish Fish. 

"No. Watch the movie with us." She said. 

"Please?" 

"No." 

"Please?" 

"No." 

"Pretty please?" 

"I said no." 

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?" 

"NO!" 

"Pretty please with a cherry on top and-" 

"ASHLEY JUST GIVE HER CANDY!" Mal said. "Or Kelley just accept that she said no." 

"Well I won't take no for an answer." 

"Well I bought this with my own money." 

"I won't take 'well I bought this with my own money' for an answer." 

"Ashley just give her a few please so she leaves us alone." I groaned. 

"Fine. You get...4." She handed them to Kelley, who smiled and shut up. 

"I thought I was on the US WOMENS national team, not the US CHILDREN's national team." Mal sighed. 

"Maybe we should always have Sweedish Fish with us. Look at her. So calm." I pointed to Kelley, who was sitting next to Ashley watching the movie. 

"When did we become the babysitters?" 

"I think Becky got annoyed." 

"I can't believe they are both older than us." 

I looked at the girls, who were watching Finding Nemo intently. 

"I don't know how we got here, but I think it's pretty fun." 

---------

April 10th, 2022 - 3:00 am - Chester, PA

Mal's POV

We got to the hotel at like 3 in the morning. We are all exhausted and it was so quiet on the plane. 

Everyone was roomed with the same people again for ease. But this time, the rooms were connected to another set of rooms by a little living room area. 

"I call rooms with Mal and Morgana!" Ashley yelled, her hand shooting up into the air. Then she looked to her left at her roommate, which was Sophia, and she grabbed her wrist and raised her arm up. "We call rooming with them." 

"I don't care. It's 3 in the morning, not worth making a deal out of it." Vlatko said. "Everyone just grab keys and go to sleep. Practice will be in the afternoon tomorrow." 

"YES!" Kelley screamed. 

"SHHHH!" Said everyone else. I mean everyone else. 

"Sorry." 

We headed to our rooms, and the second we walked in Morgana fall onto the couch. 

"I can't move." She complained. 

"Go sleep." Said Sophia from her and Ashley's room. 

"You're gonna be sore if you sleep out here. Come on." I said, grabbing her arms and trying to pull her up, but she was limp. 

"Fine." She stood up and walked into our room. I made sure to grab her suitcase and stuff because she most certainly won't. 

"Listens to you better than anyone else." Ashley said. "I came out here ready to bitch slap her into getting up." 

"I would have kicked you out." 

"I don't need you to protect me!" Morgana yelled from our room. 

"She's right. She's really tough and you're just...Mallory." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. 

"Shut up, Ashley!" Sophia said. "Leave the poor girl alone." 

"I'm just sayin." Ashley said. "I'm going to bed, not because Soph told me to, but because I think I may pass out if I don't." 

"Whatever." I walked into my room to see Morgana sleeping on the bed that I had put my stuff on, wrapped in my blanket. 

I didn't know how heavily she was sleeping, so I said her name quietly a few times, but she was out pretty hard. 

I grabbed my pillow that I brought from home off my bed because she was using my hoodie as a pillow instead. 

As I reached for it, I came close to her face, so I kissed her forehead and tucked a piece of loose hair behind her ear. 

I swear I saw her smile a little bit, but my imagination goes crazy places sometimes.