08 | the dirty old hat

Start from the beginning

"Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were taken ill on the train, Mr. Potter," McGonagall began, hands crossed from behind her desk and posture perfectly straight.

At once, they were joined by a woman who Scarlett didn't know.

"I'm fine," Harry demanded, red in the face upon the arrival of the woman. "I don't need anything —"

"Oh, it's you, is it?" the woman said disapprovingly, ignoring him and bending down to stare closely at him. "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?"

"It was a Dementor, Poppy."

The two older women exchanged a dark look. Poppy clicked her tongue.

"As for you, Miss Toussaint," Professor McGonagall said, turning to face said girl. "You are to be sorted before the first year ceremony."

"Well, he should have some chocolate, at the very least," Poppy declared, now trying to inspect Harry's eyes.

"I've already had some," Harry said. "Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us."

"Did he, now?" Poppy asked in pleasant surprise. "So we've finally got a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies?"

"Are you sure you feel all right, Potter?" Professor McGonagall said sharply.

"Yes," Harry confirmed.

"Very well. Kindly escort Miss Toussaint to Professor Dumbledore's office while I have a word with Miss Granger about her course schedule. He's a big fan of Sherbert Lemon."

The two nodded and Scarlett followed Harry out of the office.

The halls were very bare, and horribly silent besides the occasional chirps from a cricket. The only source of light were candles on the elegantly carved castle walls. The torch light glowed orange right onto the boy next to her, giving his messy raven hair a golden glow.

She had no idea if the silence between them was awkward or not. She didn't want to be the one to break it, and she could tell he didn't either.

Harry stopped in front of a huge silver statue of an eagle.

"Sherbert Lemon," he said to the eagle.

Scarlett watched in awe as it rose up to reveal a staircase.

"I'll just, uh," Harry gulped, scratching at the back of his neck. "I'm just gonna stay here. Good luck."

"Thanks," she nodded with a sly grin. "Don't go fainting while I'm gone."

Harry's entire face reddened.

At the end of the spiral staircase was a wooden door with a knocker, but before her hand could reach it a voice from inside called, "come in."

Scarlett entered the office, a large circular room with many windows. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tainted wizard's hat.

"Miss Toussaint," Dumbledore greeted, sitting behind his desk with his fingers interlaced with each other. Casually, Dumbledore flicked his wrist, and the battered hat from behind him flew to his desk. "Sit. We'll have you sorted immediately."