Save the Last One

Start from the beginning

"Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?" Maggie asks the two. They jump due to Maggie being in the darker side of the house. They stop and look at her.

"Uh, hi. Yes, we closed it. Did the latch and everything." Glenn tells her. Maggie leans forward. T-Dog looks at Glenn then back at Maggie then at Glenn again. He sighs.

"Hello. Nice to see you again. We met before briefly."Glenn tells Maggie. T-Dog, being tired of seeing Glenn's miserable attempt at flirting speaks up.

"Look we came to help. There anything we can do?" T-Dog feels a sharp pain shoot up his arm. Maggie gets up and looks at it.

"It's not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though." He tells her. Maggie walks past him.

"We'll have it looked at. I'll tell them you're here. I heard you have a daughter, Amara?" Maggie asks T-Dog. He nods his head.

"She's been waitin'. She woke up mid surgery calling out for 'dad'. Guess that's you?" Maggie asks. He nods his head and looks at her. Glenn interrupts, he holds up a bag full of pills.

"We have some painkillers and antibiotics. I already gave him some. If Carl or Amara need any." Glenn tells Maggie.

"Come on inside. I'll make you something to eat. I'll show you to your daughter." Maggie tells the two. She opens the door and the three of them walk in. Maggie shows Glenn and T-Dog to the room. Rick and Lori stand up and give room to the two of them.

"I'll let you have your moment with her first." Glenn says before walking into the dining room with Rick and Lori. T-Dog walks over to Amara and sits down in the seat next to her.

T-Dog's POV:
My daughter. My sweet girl, was laying on her death bed because I wanted to stay back. This is nothing but my fault. I look at her pale skin and dry lips.

"God. If Jacqui or your mom were to see you like this. I'd be killed. Sometimes I really do wonder if you'd have been better off with your mama I tell you. Would've been able to know what it's like to go on mommy-daughter dates. All of that other shit." I talk to her. I wipe my eyes and sniff.

"But hey. I think for raising you this far, I did my shit. I didmy job. And now you have women in your life that'll be there for you. I know me and your mom fought. And I'd do anything to prevent those fights from happening but, you can't change the past. I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you. I wasn't the perfect father but... I'm here now. And I always will be, for the rest of your life." I tell her while I push her hair back and give her a kiss.

I remember the necklace I found before the herd of walkers came through. I dig around in my pocket trying to find it. I take the necklace out of my pocket and clip it to her neck, being careful not to pull her hair or move her too much. I wipe my eyes and look over to Carl.

"And you Carl. You're a badass little kid. You're ass is gonna pull through no matter what." I tell him. I ruffle his hair. I walk out of the room. Glenn's sitting on the couch talking to Maggie. He looks at me and gets up walking into the room.

Glenn's POV:
I walk in the room to look at the two of them. The two kids that I know are gonna be the new future of this shitty world. I feel the tears sting in my eyes and I blink them back. I go and sit in the seat next to Amara's bed.

"Shit. You took a hard hit. You'll be fine though. You're the toughest kid I know. You're gonna fight this and whatever happens to you. You're gonna make it through this. You know, when I first got picked up by your dad on the road. I didn't think that we would still be together, if I'm being completely honest. I thought he would've dropped me off in an alley and said 'this is your stop'. Thankfully he didn't. And now, I get to know how awesome you are. Just please. Don't die, fight this. Please." I tell her. I wipe the tears from cheeks and I turn the chair to Carl.