Chapter 7: Assholes and revelations

SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG ASFGHJKL READ ON

---Flashback---

"I told you Darby, I won't let them bug you anymore." I looked up at Trey from my pathetic position on the floor of my room.

"Oh yeah? And what will you be able do about it, huh Trey?" I questioned. Today at school was the worst. Everyone bullied me, only because I was short and weak and stupid, and I couldn't defend myself. I was so embarrassed about my height without them calling me names about it all the time.

"Come on Darbs, don't you trust me?" Trey said, sitting next to me. I sighed, nodding.

"Of course I do. But...sometimes, you aren't around. And they hurt me, and call me awful things and-and-" I stopped, tears stinging my eyes. Believe it or not, I'm thirteen years old. But I sure can cry like a baby.

"I'm your best friend, and i'll do anything I can. But, I might be able to help you a lot more often...if I was more to you than that." He said, yet again wanting me to make him my boyfriend. I shook a little bit, but this time, I gave up. I love Trey, and I wasn't sure if it was in that way yet, but I was about to find out.

--------

The memory made me cringe, and I threw my book across the room in frustration. After Trey showed up at the beach, I bolted immediately after recognising him. Isaiah called out to me, and even ran after me, but I was too far gone to be caught. I got home as fast as I could, and shut myself up in my room. 

What the hellish hell was he doing at castle island?! WHAT THE HELL WAS HE DOING IN THE STATE?! He moved to New York three years ago! Why is h-you know what, I don't need to know, nor do I want to. As long as I don't have to have anything to do with him while he's here. 

 I sighed heavily as I sat on my bed, only to have my phone ring from across the room. 

"Uuugghh." I groaned, getting up to get it. I picked it up and looked at the caller ID, not recognising the number. It can't be Trey since he doesn't know my number, so I answered. 

"Hello?" 

"Darby? I-it's me, Trey. Please don't hang-!" I threw the phone at the wall furiously, hearing the dreadful cracking sound it made as it hit the edge of my nightstand and fell to the floor. To say the least, I got no more calls from him for the rest of the night. 

***

Come the following morning I was in a right foul mood, sulking around the house with a dark cloud above my head. When my parents left for work they gave me worried looks, and told me to keep off the alcohol or they'd send me to AA meetings too. I gave them both such a horrendous glare they scurried out the door in five seconds flat. Damn right. 

Later that afternoon, someone knocked at my door and when I looked through the peephole I blanched. Not only does he have the nerve to call me, but the balls to show up at my house?! I threw the door open, scowling deeply at Trey who stood there with pensive look on his face.

"Oh. I...didn't think you'd actually answer." I just stared, waiting for him to get to the point. 

"Uh, you look good, if that means anything?" He said, and I nearly bared my teeth like a wild animal I was so pissed. How dare he say that after what he did?

I was seconds from slamming the door in his face and apparently he could tell because he spoke up right away.

"Look, just hear me out for a second! I know you don't want to see me, hell you don't want to breathe the same air as me. But i'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. That doesn't mean anything to you either, but I am. I just wanted you to know that I haven't had a day of peace since." I kept my face blank, and when he stopped talking I shut the door abruptly, leaning against it and putting my hands on my head.