Chapter 6: The Games (Y/n's POV)

Y/n's POV

"She came here with me" Gale's voice kept repeating that over and over in my head before I realized it. The girl is me. Me. Gale and Caesar wrapped up the interview and I felt my cheeks heat up, bright red not knowing what to do I walked out of the room and straight to the apartment. I didn't know what I was feeling. I was happy for sure, but sad because we are going into the arena tomorrow. As I walked into my room I sat on my bed and let my tears stream down my face. I changed and took off all the makeup. I needed some fresh air so I went up to the rooftop, where Gale and I talked on our first night in the capital.

I sat at the edge of the flower garden and stroked the pedals, I'm so happy but so sad at the same time. I sat up there for a while then I heard the door open, I thought it was gonna be Haymitch or Effie telling me to go to bed, but I looked over and saw Gale.

"Hey," He said and walked over

"Hey," I said

"I'm so sorry, I probably just embarrassed you in front of all of Panem. I know you don't like me, and you probably don't want to be allies anymore...good night"

"Wait Gale" I stopped him "Sit down" He sat next to me

"Yeah?"

"I feel the same way. I've liked you since we were like 11 maybe. I'm sorry for running off, I just...we're going into the arena tomorrow and...I don't want to lose you, Gale"

"You feel the same way? For real?"

"Yeah. I always have"

"I don't know whether to be happy or sad," Gale said "I'm happy, but...never mind"

"Hey, Gale, of course, I still want to be allies. How else am I supposed to protect you?"

"You too." We both started to lean in closer to each other, I got goosebumps as our lips touched softly, my hands went to the side of his face holding it as we kissed and he slid his hands to my waist. We kissed for a while none of us ever wanting to pull away, but when we finally ran out of breath we were forced to pull apart. Our foreheads rested on one another's as we caught out breaths.

"I love you" We both whispered at the same time, still holding each other. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and looked at me for a while smiling. I saw a tear stream down his face, I wiped it away with my thumb and kissed him again.

"We're gonna be okay, Gale" I whisper, he nods and wraps me up in his arms, and I do the same. We held onto each other and tried so hard not to cry. 

"Do you want to go to bed now?" Gale asked me

"Yeah" He takes me to my room and I slip into my bed, he kisses my forehead.

"Good night," He says and is about to go, but I grab his wrist.

"Gale, can you please stay with me?" I ask

"Of course" He got into bed next to me "Always" He wrapped his strong arms around me tightly and his chin rested on my head, I dreaded the morning when we would have to wake up and be pulled from each other. I wish I could freeze this moment right here, just Gale and I holding each other, I've dreamt of holding him as we fall asleep so many times, but not like this. Knowing that we're going to be sent to our deaths in the arena the next morning. I eventually fell asleep in his arms, feeling safer than ever before.

<><><><><><><><><>

The next morning.

I woke up, still in the grip of Gale's arms, to Effie drawing open to curtains and waking us up.

"Oh, there you are Gale. I didn't know you two were together" She got emotional seeing us cuddled up together on the day we had to go to the arena. "*sniffles* You guys can have ten more minutes," She says and walks out. I look up at Gale's face, with the morning sunlight shining on it. His eyes flutter open.