Chapter 2: The Capital

Gale's POV

We were all standing in the square, as we watched Effie trinket about to pull a name from the bowl on the girl's side. There are three girls who I'm praying won't get picked, they are Katniss Everdeen, who's my best friend and hunting partner, Primrose Everdeen, who's Katniss's little sister, and Y/n Y/l/n, the girl I like. She's amazing, she's kind and beautiful. We go to school together, but she doesn't like me, well she doesn't like-like me, we've talked a few times, but I'm convinced that she and this other guy, Peeta, have a thing, they're always spending time together and I know I don't stand a chance. There are so many girls at school that always want to talk to me or hang out with me, but in my opinion, they are all annoying. Y/n is different though, she's the only girl I've ever liked before.

Anyway, when I hear Effie call out Y/n's name my heart sunk, I didn't want her to die, I wished that I could volunteer for her but only another girl could. I was waiting for someone to volunteer for her but nobody did. She slowly walked up there and I felt so bad for her.

"Now for the boys," Effie said, she picked up the paper. I hoped that it wasn't my little brother, Rory. This is his first year in the reaping and he's just too young to go in. "Rory Hawthorne" 

No, this is not gonna happen. I thought. Rory slowly started walking toward the stage when I decided to do something.

"Wait! Wait Rory stop! I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" I yelled, and the square went silent. Rory tried to stop me but I wouldn't stop, I walked toward the stage and I told everyone my name. Y/n and I shook hands, she looked terrified so I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

We were taken into the justice building where I was escorted to a room where I had 5 minutes per person to say goodbye. My mom and siblings came to see me first. Rory thanked me for volunteering but he was super upset that I had to go. My mother was also very sad, We all sat on the velvet couch, and my little sister, Posy, was sitting on my lap holding onto me as tight as she could, she was crying which made me also very sad to leave them. I didn't know who was gonna take care of all of them now. After our five minutes was up, I told them that I was gonna do everything I could to win. 

Katniss came in next.

"Hey, Gale I know you can do this. You can hunt, youre strong, and youre smart. While youre gone I'm gonna help take care of your family, you don't need to worry about them. Just do youre best to stay alive, Okay?" Katniss said

"Okay, I will," I said and we hugged. After the five minutes were up, one more person came. Peeta.

"Peeta?" I asked, I don't know him very well so I was surprised to see him.

"Hi Gale, I just need to tell you a few things," Peeta said

"Okay," I said very confusedly.

"While you guys are in the arena, please try to keep Y/n alive, she's my best friend basically my sister, And I cannot lose her. Please keep her safe. If you promise to be her ally and take care of her, then I promise to help take care of your family and bring them bread while you're gone. Okay?"

"Okay, I promise I'll take care of her and keep her alive," I said

"Alright, thank you. You stay alive too" Peeta said, we went in for a short kind of awkward hug, then he left. I sighed. I planned on protecting Y/n anyway, but now that Peeta and Katniss will be helping out my family, I feel much better.

Y/n and I had to listen to Effie talk about how amazing the capital is the whole way to the train station. The capital isn't amazing, it's horrible. They like to watch kids die, for entertainment. That's awful. I hate the capital and everyone in it, and the whole Hunger Games thing pisses me off the most.