fifteen

• Matt •

To say Matt was ecstatic would be an understatement. He'd expected to be shut down immediately by Sienna, and while he had been, she also had basically confirmed that she feels the same way about him. He'd been all smiles since she got out of the car at the gas station. Only one issue, they were currently in a restaurant with her boyfriend. He knew better than to make a move tonight, and he had the decency to not try and get with a girl who has a boyfriend.

They'd made eye contact multiple times now across the table, each time Sienna looked away after a split second, acting like it didn't happen. If only she didn't have a boyfriend. He knew Sienna better than most people, and he knew that she couldn't break up with him. She wouldn't be able to bring herself to it so soon. Was he really such a coward that he had pushed her into the arms of someone else?

His phone buzzed on his lap, pulling his attention away from the brunette girl. When he glanced, he saw it was a text from Chris in the group chat with his brothers.

Chris: what the fuck happened in the car?

Nick: yeah, you haven't been this happy in weeks

Matt contemplated not responding and telling his brothers later, but when he looked up and saw the stern look in Chris' eyes, he knew it was better to respond now.

Matt: Sienna's in love w me too :D

Chris: ur fucking lying
Chris: she's literally w her bf rn

Nick: no no, let's hear him out chris
Nick: also since when are you in love, i thought you just liked her

Matt: Okay, well she never exactly said she loved me
Matt: But yeah I'm pretty sure I'm in love w her or something
Matt: She basically told me that if I had told her that I liked her then she wouldn't have said yes to Josh

Nick: whatever you do, don't be a home wrecker

Chris: i'm pretty sure he's already a home wrecker

Matt smiled in amusement at his phone, earning a look from Sienna and Claire, who then promptly leaned over to whisper in his ear.

"Give her time. She needs to figure out the whole Josh thing."

He leaned over to her before responding. "I know. I've got this." Claire didn't look convinced, but she didn't say anything more on the matter.

~~~

Once at the dance, the group mostly split up, except for when they occasionally were at their table at the same time. Josh and Sienna almost never left each other's sides, meaning Matt couldn't talk to her. He knew it was a bad idea, but he really want to talk to her again. Chris and Mae were also together most of the time, and he didn't want to third wheel with them, so he spent most of the dance with Claire, going back and forth between sitting at the table and getting food at the snack table.

"Do you think she'll do it? Break up with him I mean." Matt knew the answer. No. She cared too much about other people to break up with someone after two days, especially if she was breaking up with them for someone else.

"Matt. You know Sienna better than almost everyone here, probably including me. We both know she's not gonna break up with him." He was expecting that, but it didn't hurt any less. He understood why she wouldn't do it, he was the same way, but he wanted to believe that he could be the exception.

"Did she tell you what she told me?"

"That she wouldn't be with him if you had spoken up? Yeah. It's best if you forget about that, even if she broke up with Josh, she's not ready to forgive you." After everything that had happened in the last two hours, Matt had almost forgotten about the last three weeks.

"Do you think she ever will?"

"Honestly, Matt. You screwed yourself over big time, if she does, it's gonna take a while."

Matt nodded. He knew he fucked up, he knew that everything that had happened was his fault. He knew he had hurt her and that he didn't deserve to be forgiven yet, but he missed her more than he thought he could ever miss someone. He didn't just lose a potential girlfriend, he'd lost his best friend.

Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Chris and Nick heading over to the bathroom, so he quickly excused himself and followed them. He found Chris at the sink when he entered.

"Guys, I need help."

"Don't tell me you're still trying to convince yourself Sienna to break up with Josh. Even Mae knows she won't do it."

"Chris, believe me, I know she won't. But I want my best friend back before anything."

A voice called out from one of the stalls. "Matt. I love you man. But you can't just come and go from her life whenever you want, that's not how it works."

"I know that Nick. That's why I want to talk to her. She won't go more than 3 feet away from Josh, though."

"She was alone like 2 minutes ago. I don't know where Josh went."

Matt was already halfway out the door when he heard a toilet flush. Fuck, why didn't he check the stalls?

Josh silently walked out of the stall and washed his hands, the tension in the room unbearable as the three brothers stood wide eyed.

"Might want to check for poopers next time, man." Josh clapped Matt on the shoulder as he left, leaving the three boys to stare at each other in silence.

"Well, you're fucked."