Chapter 32 - Rage in Silence

Start from the beginning

"For me? Why would he do that?" Surely, Hunter does not think I am the kind of girl who likes to receive expensive gifts, let alone a house!

"For security reasons, I presume. Now, let me take you to your room."

With how I look, Paul must be thinking that I am in dire need of a bath.

"Where is Hunter?" I raise a brow at Paul, and he flinches the moment he's seen me starting to get fired up.

"I believe he's in his room already."

Hunter might have hit the bed at this instant. The past week has been dreadfully stressful and traumatic for him, and his body is begging for an entire day of sleep. I would have been a bit understanding if I knew that tomorrow will be a completely different day, and the purpose of moving into a new house will indeed serve its use. But knowing Hunter Stone, I know he would get up early tomorrow morning to get Will and his drugs out of New Jersey, and I will do all I can to stop him from getting himself into more trouble.

Will speaks of the man as if he is God.

But Hunter is not one.

There's no assurance he could provide tricky Will a graceful exit. I am on edge about this. If Hunter gets caught, I don't think Will has the balls to own up to his fault. He could push all the blame to Hunter while he runs away unscathed.

I will have to talk sense to Hunter and prevent him from doing the worst thing he could do.

"Lead me to his room, Paul."

"I'm sorry, Ms. Mohr, but Mr. Stone hates to be disturbed at night."

"If he marries me, he'll have to put up with all my sermons, especially in the middle of the night," I answer with my hands on my hips.

Paul stands right in front of me with his arms in the air, blocking my way to the corridor.

"Don't forget your place, Ms. Mohr," he whispers, his tone marked with a dash of warning,  "You are just Mr. Stone's employee. His words are still the law in this house and your marriage."

With that, I am instantly reminded of who I am in Hunter's life.

I am nothing but his paid pretend girlfriend, his former escort girl—his employee, and my services are timed and measured. My feelings for him—new and, I am afraid, beginning to dig a deeper hole in my heart—are unimportant.

I like how Paul slaps me back to my senses. I immediately knew, right there and then, that I got lost somewhere in the course of getting to know Hunter. I did not know this would happen because I was so resolute about my perception and feelings for the man. I did not think my will could be bent, but look where it has put me—to foolishness once more.

I'm just a paid servant whom he can order around to do things. We have a contract, and it says a lot of who I am to him.

And the idea of that stings.

But why?

Why does it hurt me?

Why do my tears start to erode my resolve?

Why can't I stop falling for him?

And even if I get my point about the danger he's walking through across to him, I don't think Hunter will listen to me. He won't listen to me because I am nobody to him.

"Are you alright, miss?" Paul asks.

"I feel a bit dizzy," I say. "Won't you mind showing me the way to my room now, Paul?"

My cabinet is filled with so many new clothes that I could hardly find my old ones. I think Hugo single-handedly picked all these designer's clothes because they speak so much of his style. Speaking of Hugo, he'll definitely throw fits when he sees the Vera Wang gown's train shredded into pieces.