Chapter 2 - Aditi's world

Start from the beginning

She can float around anywhere inside but not outside. She's designed for indoors only. And she can't do anything physical.

Through Wi, I manage my smart home effortlessly. By communicating with her, Wi relays commands to other devices, such as lights, music players and other devices. And sometimes, she's one step ahead taking care of things before I even realize I need them.

----------

After my morning jog and having nice cup of coffee, I took a nice long bath and dried my hair. Then, I went to the dressing room and asked Wi to help me pick out my outfit and accessories for the day.

She picked me a peach blazer over a button up shirt with a light blue pencil skirt along with matching earrings and a bracelet. Once I finished my makeup and styled my hair into a low sleek ponytail, I made my way downstairs.

I couldn't help but chuckle at Wi, who floated ahead of me bursting with energy like a little kid.

Sometimes I wish Wi were real just so I could tell her, 'Wi, no running around the house!'

"Good morning, ma'am" Inaya chirped as I entered the hall. She is my office secretary

"Good morning, Inaya. How long you've been here?"

"I just got here, ma'am," She replied, meeting my gaze.

"Hungry? Let's chat over breakfast," I proposed, leading the way to the kitchen where the table was already set with my favourite, kichadi. All I needed to do was scoop it onto the plate.

"No, ma'am. I can't. I am fasting for Ramadan," she explained softly.

"Alright, just take a seat with me," I invited, pulling out a chair at the dining table. "We'll go over my schedule while I eat. I have a feeling today's going to be a busy day."

Inaya nodded, taking a seat across from me and pulling out her tablet.

"Mother," Before Inaya could utter a word, Wi floated toward me and shared my schedule.

"You have a board meeting at 10 am, lunch meeting with Mr. Anand at 12:30 pm and a doctor's appointment at 3:00 pm. And then there's a flight to Salem-"

"Wi, hold on," I interrupted, putting down my fork. "Cancel the Salem flight. Plans have changed. I've decided not to go,"

"Flight cancelled. That means you've got a lighter schedule today, Mother.," Wi assured.

"Why the change in plans, ma'am?" Inaya inquired.

"My instincts are telling me something's wrong about him, Inaya. I don't trust his motives or his money. It just doesn't feel right," I confided.

After I finished eating breakfast, I went to the hall and sat down. I put on my heels slowly. Once my shoes were on, I stood up and grabbed a small device that looks like a remote. It's for controlling Wi. It allows me to activate or deactivate her. A simple on and off function. I deactivated her and handed the device to Inaya and locked the house. The driver opened the door and I got into the back seat.

In just 20 minutes, we reached my company. As Inaya and I ascended to the 8th floor in the lift, the doors opened to the flood of warm greetings. The whole floor was filled with holographic AI assistants that looked like default human figures. There were 15 of these assistants here, helping my human employees. I co-designed them and as the founder I take the responsibility. They're referred to as Kiwi 1103, 1104, 1105... up to 1117.

"She's not going to be happy about this," I heard Inaya whispering into her phone to someone as I walked towards the conference room.

"What's the matter," She ended the call when she heard my voice.