She was still torn on her feelings toward her boyfriend's parents. She did believe their apologies and that they would try to do better in the future. However, a part of her didn't want to see them again for quite some time. Lexi wanted to see her family badly instead, and she also wanted a drama-free winter break. She knew she would have to interact with Isaac's parents eventually, but she wasn't itching to do so anytime soon.

"At least Isaac made his mother apologize to you in person," her father said once Lexi finished explaining everything.

Her mother scoffed. "She only did so 'cause her son made her."

Lexi shrugged. "I don't care if that's the case or not. I'm just happy she did it. Oh, and his father said sorry too. He wasn't as rude as her, but he also didn't stand up for me. My guess is that he feels the same as her."

"I wouldn't be surprised," her father commented.

"Please don't let what that woman said get to you," her mother chimed in. She got up and gave her daughter a loving hug. "I know it's easier said than done, but please try. Isaac's mother has no idea how hard you've worked, or how amazing you are. Your father and I know all that already."

"I agree with what your mother said. Don't let what she said ruin your relationship with Isaac 'cause I like him. He's a great guy, Lexi."

Lexi was now a blushing, teary-eyed mess. "Thanks, Mom and Dad. There is one thing that I've thought about, but I won't bring it up to Isaac."

"What is it?" her mother asked.

"I can't help but wonder if Isaac's parents meant it when they apologized," Lexi said hesitantly. "A part of me wants to believe them at their word. But I also don't wanna believe it now, only to find out later that it was all a load of crap."

Her mother gave her another hug. "Worrying about that is a waste of your time. It's not gonna do anything but drive you crazy."

"For now, take them at their word," her father suggested. "And if it turns out to be a load of crap, then you'll know what they're really like as people. But in the meantime, be nice— even if you're still upset with them. Kill 'em with kindness, sweetie."

"Good idea," Lexi remarked with a smirk. "I'm so happy to be home for Christmas."

"So are we, sweetie," her mother said as a smile graced her face.

***

After spending Christmas morning unwrapping presents and eating breakfast, Lexi spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon helping her mother out with getting things ready. Her father took care of cleaning the house both inside and outside while the two women focused on prepping Christmas dinner.

"I'm glad so many people are coming," Lexi said as she peeled potatoes.

"Me too," her mother replied while slathering butter all over the turkey. "I still feel bad that we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I wanna make it up to everyone."

"I'm sure people understood."

"Some did— like your grandparents, for instance. But most of your relatives weren't thrilled about our decision."

Lexi shook her head with disappointment. "That's so wrong."

"Hey, what can you do? I'm just glad the trial's over and that we won," her mother said.

"So am I, for your sake," Lexi replied.

By about one o'clock, things were mostly done and under control. Lexi and her mother left the kitchen to get ready before family members could arrive.