Of Tarots And Subliminal Message

Sherlock

He didn't expect to find the same woman from his dreams to be sitting around Lestrade's office, and the fact that she was his newly hired assistant.

She's rich enough to have her own mansion, why would she apply for a job that pays lower than her previous salary.Maybe she was trying out new things, or she's working for someone to foil little details in my work. His hunch wasn't out of the possibility.

He decided that it was best to observe matters for now. Any risky moves would be too difficult to fish himself out of the situation. I cannot endanger John too much. Moriarty is dead, but someone is threatening to destroy everything.

Sherlock hailed a taxi while John waited for (Firstname) to catch up. Greg's assistant arrived in sync with cab. They all got in. Sherlock sat between (Firstname) and John.

They arrive at Sherlock's flat, and John was left to pay the cabbie. He gestured for (Firstname) to follow him upstairs.

"Sit." He ordered. The woman sat on the opposite chair facing him.

Sherlock tensed. He didn't know if he's feeling guilty about the dream or he was trying not to undress her with his eyes.

John appeared at the doorway, suspiciously eyeing Sherlock before going to the kitchen.

"Why did apply for that job?" He was staring at her intently. The woman simply smiled at him.

"And by job, you mean Greg's assistant?" She ran her tongue over her bottom lip. "Things get boring, life's getting duller every minute. So I applied to be an assistant, well specifically his assistant. He gets a lot of action these days. But, I didn't know I'd be ordered to accompany you and Dr. Watson to this investigation. That's out of the field for my job."

He nodded absentmindedly. "Now, the card." The tarot card was pulled out of his pocket.

(Firstname) opened her laptop and began typing. He observed her facial expressions, the shape of her eyes and the way her hair frames her face.
Damn, I'm distracted again. He mentally rolled his eyes and slapped himself. He began to flip the card in his hand. Quietly finding clues which will help them find the killer.

"I found something." She spoke. Sherlock's eyes darted to her.

She continued. "It says that 'The devil is the representation of the human's negative ways. Humans are chained to their bad sides, they also have the ability to break free from it but always kept themselves chained'. Fascinating..." She continued to read quietly.

"The symbol of the devil is a mythical creature called Pan. The Pan is half-man, half-goat and is also believed to be the symbol of sexual desires." He paused, erasing unnecessary thoughts. "It is associated with negative actions, such as sinning."

"Uh huh... " (Firstname) was deeply enthralled by the article she was reading. Sherlock took the time and started to deduce her.

She's wearing branded clothes. Her makeup reduced to minimal, probably trying to look fresh. Posture; her back straight, not slouched, indication of sophisticated family. Hmm, she never lack manners, also good at picking up social cues. Her ring on the right finger shows that she is single. Oh, a coffee drinker and a cat lover too... He furrowed his brows.

No, there's something wrong. She's giving too much information. It's like she's luring me into a trap.

John brought tea, handing each of them steaming cups. It is undeniable that his friend had no idea of what was really happening. Maybe it's best that he doesn't... He tends to overreact.

The army doctor grabbed a wooden chair and sat down. He looked at her inquisitively. Little does he know that his friend was reading him like an open book.

Oh, I know that stare. He finds her attractive but he already has Mary so he's pushing down his thoughts. Sherlock smirked triumphantly. He has one less competition

One thing is sure, that woman is extremely attractive and not to mention, possibly dangerous. Why do I keep repeating myself? His thoughts traveled back to the scenes from his dream.

The horrible shooting incident that involved his best friend and her. He shook it off together with a rising emotion, nervousness. The uneasiness was overwhelming him, but it was too hard to notice.

Focus. Focus... We need to find the killer. There is killer on loose, and I cannot afford to be distracting myself with a woman. Though I can multitask... No, now is not the time.

John's phone loudly rang, catching their attentions. The confused man answered.

"H-hello?" He paused, then he looked to Sherlock. "It's for you, Sherlock." He handed the phone to the detective.

Sherlock pressed the loud speaker button, so everyone could hear. A mysterious voice spoke.

"Have you received my message yet, or you are still figuring it out? I can be always generous and offer you clues." It was a man's voice.

"Oh, I have no need for that. It makes everything less interesting. Aren't you tedious, making an effort to call and all."

The voice laughed. "Sherlock, I will tell you one thing; you must let loose. We all must embrace our negative sides. You are trying too hard to repress yours. Can't you see that everyone around you are counting on the probability that you are just making the story go round and round? Come, join the dark side."

"And why would I join? I'm afraid things might get boring, knowing that I could easily conquer everything."

The voice chuckled. "We have cookies..." It laughed heartily.

"I will have to decline, though that was a very good offer." A smirk was plastered on Sherlock's face.

"Oh, I see. Well, you might reconsider your decision later on. But for now, we're still playing. And mark my words Sherlock Holmes... The more you play, the more you'll lose."

Sherlock ended the call. His mind was confused. What did he mean by that? He his his nervousness well.

"Sherlock, what was that?" John asked.

"It was the murderer, obviously. At least, he's not that boring. But I think he'll be quite hard to catch."

"W-why? I thought you can easily solve a case?" (Firstname) asked.

"Catching a criminal and solving a case are a bit different. Our killer here, is planning something big. And he's pulling the strings one by one. This little murder here, is just a preview."

Sherlock stood up and picked up his violin. "Get out. Both of you! I need to go to my mind palace."